Frontier Communications page on DSLReports

Review by E Man1864 See Profile

• Location: Sylvania,Lucas,OH
  • Telco party Verizon (ex GTE)
Good "Fast new speeds (15-17 Mbps down), decent ping times, techs and CS are nice"
Bad "Couldn't get 24 Mbps"
Overall "Pretty decent ISP, get a higher speed plan if you expect to game online"

·buckeye cable
I started off with Verizon DSL, it was good, then I was switched over to Frontier. In the beginning, it was slow, then in February 2011, I upgraded to the 7.1/768 package (I listed the time it took for the upgrade in the "Days from order to success" column). I get decent speeds, but bad ping. I used to use a Westell 372W router, then they said it was outdated and gave me a Westell 7500. The only time it didn't work was through Summer 2011. Why? First, the storms. Second, I put the line going to the DSL modem/router through a surge protector (don't do that) and I immediately corrected that by connecting it directly to the wall. Here's a recent speed test I did »www.speedtest.net/result/2119025831.png. The phone service is good too.

UPDATE 12-11-12:

The Westell 7500 they gave me last year has given me slower speeds than usual. I still have the 7.1/768 package, but I get speeds like this: »www.speedtest.net/result/2366297310.png all the time. I am about 0.7 miles away from the DSLCO, so I should be able to get their faster speeds. Changed the "Connection Reliability" to 3 because of this. I will update when I get time to order a new modem/router from them.

UPDATE 2-25-14:

About 2 weeks ago, I ordered the 24 Mbps package. The tech came and fixed the outside wires and told me to wire the black and yellow pair if it wasn't already wired (it wasn't). I called to get the modem provisioned, but that didn't help get the speeds I ordered. The next day I called, and they said something about the black and yellow pairs. I called about a week later for a tech to come and fix the inside wiring and he came today. He had to re-authenticate the modem after fixing the splice wire in the other room. The new router is a ZyXEL P-663HN-51 ADSL2+ Bonded Wireless N router. I receive around 15-17 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up and »www.speedtest.net/result/3344056090.png is a recent speed test I did.

Comments:
Zionikk

join:2012-12-08
North Baltimore, OH
·Frontier Communi..

Check for Upgrades

If you're still with Frontier, you should call to see about any possible upgrades. Because I know that Bowling Green and Sylvania just got upgraded to VDSL recently. You may be able to get up to 25Mbps for residential services and 40Mbps for business.

Bowling Green and Sylvania are just to of the main cities that got upgraded. But they are upgrading in other areas as well. I would definitely look in to it. You might get lucky!