Frontier Communications page on DSLReports

Review by dneiding See Profile

• Location: New London,Huron,OH
Good "Speeds as advertised; quick installation; super excited coming from wireless and being rural"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "Love it!"
(ratings well above consensus)

I live in a fairly rural area. Over the last six years I have had WildBlue, Sprint 3G and wireless from a local provider. The wireless was the best but the connecting was somewhat inconsistent, ping times where near 100 ms and the max speed was 2.0/768.

Frontier has been talking about DSL in my area for several years. Finally, in late July it became available to me. I checked the Web site everyday (after a friend of mine who is a Frontier tech told me it would be coming soon). It showed as available on 07/25.

The phone call to order took about 20 mins and I was told I qualified for the 7.1/700 service. I ordered and installation was set for Friday 7/27.

I was flying home from Seattle on Friday but my wife was home for the installer. The installation took a few hours as my inside phone lines where pretty crappy. The installer was nice enough to re-wire a couple of the phone lines (even though he didn't have to; I don't have any coverage or insurance for my phone lines). Prior to re-wiring he was getting the advertised speeds at the NID but only about 1/2 of that in my house. Once he re-wired I was getting the advertised speeds inside the house.

Once I got home from my trip I did some internal networking like turning off the wireless on the Frontier router, hooking up my Linksys routers, setting up dynamic DNS and so on. I had no problems at all.

I have had the service for about 3 1/2 weeks am very happy! Speeds have been very consistent and latency is low.

Since the install I have been able to cancel two home phone lines and start using use VOIP (savings: $60.00/month), cancel DirecTV in favor of Hulu, NetFlix, Roku, etc (Savings: $100.00/month) and my Frontier DSL is cheaper than my previous wireless (Savings: $25.00/month).

I am getting the advertised speeds, streaming movies and working from home with no problem and saving $185.00/month. I couldn't be happier!

Comments:
dneiding

join:2005-08-09
New London, OH
·Frontier Communi..

Upgraded to VDSL2+

Today, 1 1/2 months after my initial install, I got upgraded to VDSL2+. The installer came today and installed a new router (NexusLink 5631 ADSL2+ Bounded Router) and I have been upgraded to the 12/2 plan. I am seeing speeds 11/1.8 with 45ms pings.

Very happy!!!