HughesNet Satellite Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by zeddlar See Profile

• Location: Jay,Delaware,OK
Good "Great download speeds and the only satt isp that works for some types of gaming including World of Warcraft."
Bad "Latency, but thas inherant of Satt. and the outsourced script reading tech support."
Overall "Best Satt dealer out there and considering the choices hughes is by far the best value."
Mail,DNS,News:
(ratings well above consensus)

I tried WildBlue and was no even close to sattisfied. Since I have come back to Hughes I am even moderatly happy with their service. I am subscribed to the small buissness package because the bandwidth limit and speed are higher. I paid $800 up front for my equipment which includes all wiring, .98 meter dish, 2watt transmitter radio and an HN7000S Modem. The plan I am susbscribed to has a 500MB fap limit and the advertised spedds are 1500 down and 300 up, I usually get 2500 down in off peak hours and as slow as 800 down in peak hours on the download side and my upload is always between 200 and 250up.

all in all I am happy with hughesnet, I would have to say though that the thing that bothers me the worst is thier India based tech support and the scripts they give them to read off to you when you call.

Update 10/25/2010

I have since upgraded to the 9000 modem and KA system and am now very sattisfied with the service I get. My old service was degrading fast and unusable at times so I migrated to the new service and since then I get at least 70% of the speeds I am suppose to get and EverQuest and World of Warcraft are working good again.

Update 9/04/2011

Now paying for 2 Mb/s download speed and getting 3.9 to 4.2 Mb/s Have 50 Mb over my plan cap giving me 550 MB a day with the 5 hour free time it is now possible to download 50 or so GB per month so no complaints here at all now. Also hughesnet is suppose to soon make changes for the better on the Fair Access Policy and are working on improving thier tech support and in doing that the first step was to start thier own forum on thier customer care page with good tech participation so all but latency Hughesnet has improved by leaps and bounds with the future looking even better. Now if someone could just invent a way to get the signal to the satellite faster than the speed of light to improve the latency this could finally be classed as broadband maybe. =-)

member for 7.3 years, 1196 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:

tonys

@direcpc.com

being informed

You see a big difference in satisfaction when a consumer is educated about what they are buying.
Kaosfury

join:2011-06-27
Altavista, VA

agreed
zeddlar

join:2007-04-09
Jay, OK

Re: being informed

Thanx, you all just gave me another idea to suggest on their website.
suceress

join:2008-04-04
·HughesNet Satell..

Re: being informed

Wow. Sounds like you had to shell out a lot of money and have been fortunate with your service.
I'm glad it is working for you.
I wish I could say the same for me. I think one of the biggest problems is the lack of information to the customers before purchase.
They don't warn people about the FAP. They don't tell them about the inherent latency. They downplay the effect of weather on some systems.
I admit that even with knowledge of DW's FAP I still would have signed up because I literally had no other option after dial-up stopped working.
I was irritated with Hughesnet for making changes to my plan without prior notification. No e-mail message, no written letter, nothing. I think that was a pretty rude/unethical thing to do. It's not like I would have been able to do much, but at least I wouldn't have been so surprised when I got capped the first time. Going from 480Mb per day to 200Mb per day limit was not a happy surprise. Having to pay $80 to get 425Mb per day also sucked. It wasn't quite a doubling of my monthly bill, but it was close.

Another issue I noted was inconsistency in the quality of the installers. Some people had great installers who did everything right the first time. Others, like me, had complete unprofessional jerks who brought their cousins or kids along and spent more time chatting with them than actually working. (Ok, I didn't mind the kid being brought along-- it was the guy who brought his cousin that pissed me off since he couldn't finish the install bc he spent so much time yapping with his cousin that it got too dark for him to go up on the roof). The first installer with the cousin was sent by Direcway but he worked for the same company that HN contracted for the later installer who brought his kid and announced that he was quitting his job as soon as he finished the install on my satellite.

LOL. I guess I just had very bad luck with it.

I'm hoping more people have luck like yours. Although I do wonder about the people who can't afford the higher plans and people who can't get the HN9000 in their areas.

Mind if I ask what server you play WoW on? Horde or Alliance?

I've been trying Millenicom for a couple of days and while I do get some lag spikes, with the reduced latency I am able to do more time-sensitive quests like the shooting gallery at Darkmoon Faire.