HughesNet Satellite Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by george357 See Profile

• Location: Hot Springs,Madison,NC
Good "Much faster than Dial-up, available in where no other potions are."
Bad "Little slow during peak time, minor weather outages, a little expensive."
Overall "IF you have no option other than dial-up give it a shot"
Mail,DNS,News:
(ratings well above consensus)

I have had the HughesNet internet service since Aug. 21st 2009. I got the pro+ plan which gives an advertised 1.6mbs download and .25mbs upload for $79.99 a month. I get these speeds 19 hours a day with know problem, I get slowdowns between 6pm-10pm eastern time which are related to the increased usage of the system during that time. I have had only minor weather related outages since I got the system and when I do my satellite TV is usually out as well, just the nature of satellite communications. There is no way I would ever consider going back to dial-up but I would not hesitate to upgrade to a different type of provider either. DSL, FIOS, Cable, or a good Cellular plan is definitely going to be better than satellite but if you don't have those options then HughesNet is the way to go.

George

August 2 2010 Update:

Still using Hughesnet as it is the only solution available to me where I live other than dial-up. I am still very pleased with the service for what it is. I still highly recommend it if you can not get anything else and I recommend it over any of the 3g because of the caps on 3g. I attached a screenshot showing my actual download speeds during peak time this is right around average for me. Make sure you get a good install!!!

April 11 2011 Update:

I am still using Hughesnet and I remain very happy with the service. It is a little on the expensive side and has some inherent issues in the technology but if you do not have a terrestrial-based option available then I just do not think you can get anything better that Hughesnet.

July 21 2011 Update:

I just qualified for DSL through my local phone company and no longer use the Hughesnet service. I wanted to add that in the full two years I was with Hughes I had no problems whatsoever that were not related to the limitations of the satellite service. additionally I called the Hughes support once in the entire two years, about 10 minutes ago to cancel my account. The cancellation process went very smoothly and I expect no additional problems. As I have stated many times if you have no access to anything but Dial-up, Hughesnet satellite internet is the way to go, just make sure you understand the way it works and the limitations and you should have few to no problems.

member for 4.5 years, 1821 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Nikolas

@direcway.com

I can't believe this company is running

The people that install or work for this company are the only ones posting/selling you this garbage. I have had Hughes Net for 6 months and it is an absolute ripoff of a service and the customer support is an outsourced joke.

It sure is quick to find the link that is readily prepared for you to cancel your service, box up their pitiful equipment yourself, and send them a $400 fee for having to put up with it.

Finally, Comcast decided to run down my footprint where I built my new house and I have Internet freedom and real speed at a fair price.

Don't fall for this scam unless you live somewhere in which no other options are available. If you live somewhere like that, just go without Internet or visit a library because having Hughes is basically like having none anyway, except you get to pay about $30-$40 more than a real ISP per month.