HughesNet Satellite Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by compuguybna See Profile

• Location: Nashville,Davidson,TN
Good "There are NO good points to state about Hughesnet, Pure trouble!"
Bad "All ECC can say in defense is --we do not guarantee speeds--!"
Overall "Slow speeds, Clueless India Tech Support, Throttling, Expensive"
Mail,DNS,News:

Hear all the issues with Gen4 . . . . New bird wasn't the solution I guess?

Just heard a co-worker had hughesnet installed on 7/23/12. I told he should have asked me first. Yesterday 7/25/12, two days after install, he was cussing Hughesnet and his blood pressure was up! He cancelled TODAY 7/26, and told Hughes to come get the equipment off his property!

I told him about wireless broadband, and now he's getting 20GB off a Verizon tower for $59.

I wonder if GEN4 is gonna be the same? If they dont raise the caps and allowances, there will be no hope.......

Problems? Here's your best THREE contacts! Send 1 email to all three.
You'll get a call!

Complaints can be address to : bbbdc@hughes.net (Handles BBB complaints) or

(ECC) executivecustomercare@hughes.net or

william.smouse@hns.com (my last contact)

Just gotta laugh at the new advertising schemes from Hughesnet.
I still keep getting advertising and emails from them wanting me to "come back" to their service. Not in this lifetime I say.

Here's Hughesnet TOP 10 reasons to Try/Use their Service.

1. It's available wherever you live **Ok, they got me on this one**

2. It's super-fast. ***NOT*** why do they call this broadband anyway? just cause of the inherent latency...

3. It works with your computer. **Ok, they got me on this one**
for pc's anyway.

4. No dial-up necessary **No brainer, it uses a satellite, not a POTS line, however it can be as SLOW AS DIALUP!

5. We install it, so you have nothing to worry about ***BUT you want to charge truck-roll if SOMETHING DOES HAPPEN, even within the warranty period***

6. It's secure. **Ok, they got me on this one**, but DOES NOT play well with "secured sites**https**

7. We constantly monitor the network to ensure better service
***yes, so we can find you and throttle you if you actually "USE* the service***

8. Excellent customer service **WRONG** If you enjoy banging your head against your desk talking with India...***

9. Hughes is a leader in the industry, **BUT** not necessarily the only satellite provider.

10. Hughes is a trusted name and provider.....***Trusted name doesn't necessarily mean better service***

AND the fact that they have changed all the plan names (and if I see right, deleted a plan).

BASIC (1mbps) 200mb day
Power 150 (1.5mbps) 300mb day
Power 200 (2.0mbps) 400mb day

Being greedy, Hughes states on ALL plans you can UPGRADE your daily allowance by 50mb a day for only $10 a month.

Actually the daily allowances have DROPPED. Didn't the 1.6 plan (obviously dropped). have a 425 or 525mb allowance?

So, on the Power 200 plan (2.0mbps plan), you can get a WHOPPING 450mb a day for only $119.99! WOW! Is that value or what?

Does this apply to new users only? or have download allowance dropped for current users?

WTF???

UPDATE 9/21/10. Thankful the Broadband GODS have answered. Have High speed cable internet now.
20mbps download! Thank goodness I can download almost 9gigs in one day if I prefer, instead of the disgusting 425MB I had to deal with on Hughes at 1mpbs or less! ! !

I've had TWO Hughesnet Accounts in six months, BOTH of them turned out to be disasters. The First was plagued with billing and service errors to start with. They billed my credit card 503.86 on my first bill because they said I put in an order for a "purchase". WRONG! The order simply stated lease. I had to send them the original order to prove it.

A month later, they got it 1/2 right, but it was a continual battle with billing. I eventually had to change credit card #'s to get them to stop billing me. For the first 30 days, the service was as good as expected. I was on the HOME plan, which provide "UP TO" 1mbps of service. During the first 30 days, you are in a "customer satisfaction stage", where you can cancel without penalty, return the equipment at your expense, and not be obligated any longer. Your fee's you have paid so far are NOT REFUNDABLE (other than disputing it through your credit card company). After your 30 days, and after your SECOND invoice generates, WHAMMY! you are at their mercy.

Their famous excuse after that is "SPEEDS ARE NOT GUARANTEED". If you have to call tech support, its an endless cycle of running speed tests, and talking to someone in India. Billing support is in the Phillipines. With so many issues on this account, and after writing the Better Business Bureau of Maryland, my account was handed over to the corporate office (Executive Customer Care).

I give those people credit, they did TRY to help me with the issues, but given that the NOCC (network operations) was directly controlling speeds at that time thru throttling and flow control, ECC and myself that this battle should end (it was stated by tech support.. "your system is running fine. There is nothing else we can do...If you are not happy with the service, either "accept it with its Flaws" or cancel it. WHAT??? They admit their service is flawed? Cancelled it. More stupid on my part, we decided to sign up for a totally new account. New install, new equipment, new start...

Once again, EVERYTHING went perfect for the first 30 days. I signed up for the PRO + package that time which gave a tad bit more speed, plus more daily usage (425mb)... Consistently, everyday, 1.5mbps speeds which was 95% of the plans output. GREAT I was thinking. 30 days passed. Second Invoice. Speeds went to around 300-400K....then comes the excuses... "You are in peak time usage", you have exceeded your usage, you're in FAP, the weather at your gateway is BAD.

Tech support did admit once (the guy in India) that there WAS a problem, but it would have to be diagnosed by engineering. Again, and endless cycle of speed tests (in two occassions, put me over my daily usage, FAP, which they were unwilling to release).... So be well aware, if you sign up for a Hughesnet Account with a HN9000 modem package, you are in for a very long battle. While you may think you're crusing right along at first, wait til you're 30 days are up, and you're in a contract. TWO TIMES in 6 months taught me a lesson! NEVER trust these people. they will NEVER admit that network operations gives you what ever speeds they want, whenever they want.

The corporate office's response to my second series of complaints was directly from the office of the president and stated """We will not go through this again. Everyone just got your letter today. I called your mother and left a message. There is an open ticket with Tier 4, if they can't resolve I recommend she cancel immediately. PLEASE refrain from sending e-mails to the customer service group. I am sorry she is, or you are not happy with the service. You and I had an agreement on this next account. No complaints to ECC, and we do not guarantee speeds."""

their famous slogan "do not guarantee speeds" just doesn't cut it on a 79.99 a month plan that rates at 1.6mbps, but only providing 300-400K. This is a TRUE story, and I have no doubt all of these others are true in their own respect at well. FORWARNED if you are thinking about Hughes.

Complaints can be address to : bbbdc@hughes.net or
executivecustomercare@hughes.net or
william.smouse@hns.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------
UPDATE: Many forum users have challenged my posts and experiences......

YOUR RESULTS MAY VARY ! ! ! Think what you want...

Hughesnet just didn't get it in TN. Read any posts from any user in TN, Hughesnet screwed us (or still screws ya if you're stupid enough to stay).

Perhaps users in other states have different/varied results.

I know what I experienced, documented, and dealt with.

I am so glad I'm not a part of the nightmare.

I posted the notes only to share with others. If you don't agree or wish dispute the points I made, than this is sole your option.

thank you, i'm finished in this forum. If you signup with Hughesnet, good luck with the consequences you will experience later on.

Comments:
zeddlar

join:2007-04-09
Jay, OK
·exede by ViaSat
·McDonald County ..

Not so bad

I would say this is more than just a bit better than dialup, lol. You will always have high latency with Satellite and HN tells that gaming is not supported on thier systems even though you can do it with some games and it is posted on nearly every forum that has ever had Hughesnet mentioned in them that VOIP and gaming are a roll of the dice on whether they will work or not. The best ping possible with satellite is around 450ms and that is if noone was on the beam you are on and noone else was playing on the game server you are playing on, when you add users those pings go up from there. Hughesnet has thier problems and I can't say I like em much for those problems such as the customer service and the low FAP but complaining about thins that five minutes worth of research would have warned you about is just beating a dead horse IMHO.

BTW this is the new speed tweaks that alot of 9000 users are seeing and according to HN everyone including HN7000s customers will soon be seeing these speed improvements.
HughesNet elite plan/.74 dish w/1watt trans. / 9000 modem / 3 computers on a linksy's wired network

Re: Not so bad

Take into consideration the number of pissed off people vs. happy people with hughesnet.

Its sort out of ratio.

Good for you if you're getting those speeds! i'm sure its not consistent by any means!
marsh_0x

join:2006-04-25
Tomahawk, WI

Re: Not so bad

said by compuguybna:

"Its sort out of ratio".

Guy, ironic the complainers (ratio) are the most vocal one's as with any product review across the internet a fact of life.

Us happy people are content when there is no other choice that you lucked into and I'm happy for you.
We all wish the same.

Politely asked, are you here to rub your speed in ?
Because it doesn't work for me to be impressed or jealous.
Never will I sell out my country life for any reason.
~I deal with the cards dealt to me ~ and go with life.

Yes, times change and am becoming very proud of Hughes after coming back 18 months ago with the 9000 and happy 6 weeks ago my speed doubled+ with Consistently with only an occasional 1 minute slow down to PAST normal 1.7M pro plan plus at $84 (sales tax) so my TMZ log of 3,546 tests would be nick picking... »testmy.net/quickstats/marsh_0x

Please notice what you get with WB, should you look at the proof in the pudding.

Remember TMZ tests a bit different than other sites, btw the slow tests posted using that other site (forgot the name) is a pure comedy with my testing, shows such wrong low speeds haha
Hughes shows 3.4-3.5 almost always not to be consider a conspiracy fake test haha
Use a 100MB file from a "dedicated server" like File Hippo and I get 393KB so simple math times 8 = 3.144M

Now the past can/was to be true, I started with the 6000, 7000, 7000s
Cancelled 2 years ago with the 7000s when for the last 2 months my speed dropped to a disgusting IRONIC at EXACTLY 3:01 pm cst until slowing recovering at 11pm cst.

Yep, the Indians spoke excellent English always, would not transfer me to higher support so left for Wild Blue through Dish Network, yep WB was great for 3 months and then went downhill with speed, they said no penalty to let me out of contract. But remain because I can.

Sorry for not being very active in posting here, but just had to.
Rant is over...

Marsh

·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter

Still So Pathetic even an Email and facebook only user cxls.

Problems? Here's your best THREE contacts! Send 1 email to all three.
You'll get a call!
cdrslan

join:2012-07-30
Louisville, KY

Re: Still So Pathetic even an Email and facebook only user cxls.

I had Hughes.net and before that it was called Direcway for about 5 years. My wife liked the browsing speed versus the 16.400 baud dial up speed... Downloads were great. The problem with this service and it was fully disclosed..but frustrating...the FAP policy and the upload packets. Very very frustrating to a gamer who lived in a rural area that had 0 options for quality broadband. The slowest cable modem or DSL connection will be much less frustrating than Hughes.net

·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter

Contacts at Hughes.

Posted this a while back(but it keeps getting deleted), but for any of you that are having issues that you can't get resolved, contact Corporate using these email contacts.

bbbdc@hughes.net
executivecustomercare@hughes.net
william.smouse@hns.com (office of president).

Hope these help and someone can make use of them.

(these were posted on other sites including facebook, but HUGHES keeps deleting them).