HughesNet Satellite Broadband page on DSLReports

Good "EVERYTHING"
Bad "NOTHING"
Overall "LOVE IT"
Mail,DNS,News:
(ratings well above consensus)

Little as people know, Dish Network bought Hughes Net, launched a new satellite and its better then its ever been, I love dishNET/Hughes Net!! Way better then Time Warner or Frontier.... $39.99/month

member for 7.2 years, 2409 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
silbaco
join:2009-08-03
USA

Uh....

This is a joke... right? Firstly, you are paying $49.99 per month. There is an equipment rental. Secondly.. you have a tiny usage cap with high latency, making gaming, Netflix, and downloading large files impossible. 5GB a month, 5GB night usage. You could download more than that on Time Warner in a few hours.

Re: Uh....

nope, paying $39.99 because I have Dish Network TV service. I don't seem to have any cap on my account.
Current Usage
Anytime: Usage Is Unlimited
Off-Peak (2am - 8am): Usage Is Unlimited At This Time

I live in a rural area, Time Warner (Roadrunner) is available , ive had it... However every hour or so it would disconnect, modem would reboot. I however don't play games, watch netflix or download large files, the most I do is watch YouTube and its fast to me.

Im happy with the speed according to the speed test...

Download: 15.35 Mbps
Upload: 2.56 Mbps

Re: Uh....

Yea... You know the whole anytime unlimited is only for, at most, a month, right? Also, bonus bytes will be active soon, so say bye bye downloading. You are one of the very lucky few that see 15Mbps, I am supposed to be around 10Mbps and rarely see above 2Mbps down... Kinda makes me wanna go back to the 9000 unit sometimes.
silbaco
join:2009-08-03
USA
You didn't read your fine print then. $39.99 + $10 equipment rental.

"All plans require 24-month Agreement and $10/mo. equipment lease fee."

BTW, the Unlimited it going to be gone very soon. Then you will have 5GB Anytime, 5GB Bonus. That's going to suck.

Re: Uh....

well according to my bill im being credited the 10 dollar equipment rental. dishNET Bundle -10.00 (Modem/TRIA Lease) Unlimited or not, I dont even use 5GB a month anyways, well not with a 20 month old and a 2 month old. My time spent online is between the hours of 2 and 5 so 5GB is plenty
mbslk32

join:2013-02-13
San Andreas, CA
you must be paid big by Dish Network and Hughes.net? your statement that you wrote here is a BIG freaking LIE!
waytim

join:2011-12-01
Sterling, MI

Really?

Ok, how much did they pay you?? "Better than nothing" is the only positive thing that can be said about this service.

Re: Really?

$39.99

Re: Really?

Opps sorry, they didnt pay me anything except a good friend of mine who installs Dish Network here in North Idaho installed my service and im pleased with it.
BigVe

join:2005-07-15
Gulliver, MI

What drugs are you on?

I'd go with dial-up before i would deal with those Hughes scam artists.One of them days you will find out too.How can you even attempt to say they are better than Time Warner or Frontier with LOW caps/slow speeds/High price for what you get.Think again

Re: What drugs are you on?

Dish Network bought out Hughes Net. I pay less then I did with Time Warner and Frontier..

Tweakbl

join:2008-09-25
Rosedale, WV

Re: What drugs are you on?

Pole mount in a Cemented bucket?
One Bump and the entire thing will be out.
Also FCC regs require 5 foot clearance.
Not busting your Chops at all but I have had my share of go arounds with folks over subpar installs. Bad Grounds corners being cut. Drunk installers.
The Pole is one that does happen to.
If Dish is allowing that, and Hughesnet is signing off on it.
The Forums will see a upsurge in folks needing assistance.
Glad you like it, although if it was me, I would exhaust all my sources on the land based lines. Everything from new Modems to rewiring the Grey box for the phone lines. Bad wire (in the home) is usually the trouble, if your neighbors have good service.

The reason folks will think your a "plant' here is the 100% rating.
Which if your not, and you really do not appear to be I would say you are fairly new to Hughes and just had it installed. And have never had to call in yet. Or ran into any issue that gets others all worked up.

$39.00 for the 15 Megs service.....I am paying $74.00 for my service. That is just wrong of Hughesnet on so many levels.

Re: What drugs are you on?

Just remember, we have 2-3 times more allowance than he does, sure he has top speeds, but, well, his allowance will get him in the end.

@direcway.com
Dish didn't buy HN, it was Echostar that did, two entirely different companies... Other than the name Echostar on the equipment, and CEO, they have nothing else between them. Echostar is more of a provider to dish than anything, dish has no say-so over Hughes nor Echostar, nor does Echostar have any say over Dish in the end, but Echostar does have say over Hughes.