Shaw page on DSLReports

Review by hdpoint See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "98% uptime for digital services."
Bad "HD TV channels are okay. Bundles are changing all the time."
Overall "Getting better. Still have to telephone multiple times for technical, hardware support"

Recently a Telus customer, just thought the switch would be better as I was paying three bills, one for Cable TV, the other for internet and phone and mobility.
I noticed that the bundled price for Basic Digital TV, internet and Digital Phone was a better deal for me than the competition. I ordered the Extreme internet package as well as the full Digital Phone so I could make free long distance calls anywhere in North America.

I'm still new to this cable internet and phone so I probably will be updating review as time goes by.

August 2010
Still pleased with the service.

August 2011
New HD channels are a plus although Shaw is slow to add some locals.

After the digital transition, CBC Calgary will still be on analog/digital 6 and CBC Toronto will be the only HD feed that is two hours ahead of mountain time. I would like the CBC news from Calgary thank you.

The Motorola PVR - DCX3400-M is a great unit except for the software. It needs to be updated to a different Rovio guide.

August 2012:
One year after the digital OTA changeover, CBC analog has left the air due to government cutbacks. Shaw has added the Calgary feed in SD on channel 6. Instead of giving us a mono track - which was so bad watching movies and sports, they have given us a nice 5.1 DD audio track. Even the French language CBC (SRC) from Edmonton is in DD 5.1!

There was a channel re-alignment a few weeks ago to give us more HD channels. A VOD upgrade was issued for all the new STB as well as MPEG4 compression. We should have more HD by the end of 2013.

Internet is now up to 50/3. With the new Cisco modem, I am having less lag and easier time to watch videos, upload videos to YouTube and stream audio to my other devices.

An electrical fire in July of 2012 hit a data-center in SW Calgary in the Shaw headquarters building. The fire was quickly put out and four days passed before everything was back up and running. Other services were off-line due to the explosion. (Google Shaw explosion 2012 for more information).

Price has proven rock steady, with the exception of a $5 increase a month or so ago.

Looking forward to what the next 12 months has to hold for Shaw.

September 2012:

Tried to remove the Timeshift programming from my television package. Worked, but there were a few channels still there. Went to the online chat to speak about this and was told it was a glitch in the software that didn't delete the channels.

Engaged in another chat a few days later and was asked 'why do I want these channels removed, since I'm not paying for them?'. Told the CSR that I can't answer that. Closed the chat session. So I opened it two more times and had the same CSR!

Attempted to phone them and was told the same story as before. There was a glitch in the system and they've attempted to rectify it a few times. How was I to know that they were "working" on it other than the first chat. Oh, we'll get the Operations Team to look at it.

After this I added my Timeshift back. I suppose I will survive with the extra amount. I deleted it because I have a PVR and can time shift without the package.

I smell a rat. Needles to say, Shaw is going from a five star to a three and a half.

No wonder why there's an F rating on the BBB for Shaw.

November 2012

Time to make a long story short.

Ordered the 'new' DVR, a Motorola DCX-3510. The guide is quick, 16x9. Uses the new DreamGallery software.

Told this unit would arrive on November 15, then the 23, then the 29th. Had to go 2 1/2 hours north of where I live due to the fact that Shaw doesn't send hardware to it's residential customers.

December 2012:

Just received the box and after a few days a digital network upgrade most of my cable channels were off air.

Checked all the connections, splitter, multiple cable box. Couldn't figure out what was going on. Turns out after multiple phone calls, chats- it was the filter installed way back when I first got Shaw.

I guess I'm grateful for over-the-air channels. That saved me from ripping my hair out.

member for 5.4 years, 2665 visits, last login: a few hours ago