Shaw page on DSLReports

Review by crazyea See Profile

• Location: Surrey,BC
Good "Off peak speeds. Price."
Bad "Peak time speeds. Phone line isnt as stable as I'd like."
Overall "Regardless of flaws it's still better than Telus at the moment."

Overall I am happy with the service. Why because there isn't another competitive option in terms of internet speed at the moment. And the price is quite decent.

- Yes I wish the tv packages were better. There are two many of my go to channels spread across useless theme packages.
- The phone line is good when it works. In all of my years on Telus it never went down even one time. Shaw phone has been down at least 3 times for a full day in the 3-4 months I have been a customer.
- The off peak speeds are great. The peak time speeds drop below 60% of package speeds and even on occasion much worse. I have had 29mbps on a Sunday night on the 100mbps service.
- Customer support isn't useful at all. They call to troubleshoot a peak time problem in the daytime and then say they cant do anything about it.
- Hold times to speak to a human over there are off the charts.
- If you don't need the overall speeds shaw offers, Telus was a much more consistent service.

EDIT:
- The gateway I purchased still has not received the promised features almost two years later.
- The BB100 is relatively consistent.
- The phone services has been stable over the past year.
- Shaw increases prices on a much too frequent basis.
- My tv service still lacks channels at a competitive price.
- I have the stupid gateway and I'm pretty much locked in unless I was to pay it out.
- Overall the service is decent at best, and Shaws tactics, customer service, and pricing increases are awful.
- If you can deal with slower speeds elsewhere, I'd suggest people look there instead.

Comments:

jtl999
CEO of Actiontec Dev Team

Victoria, BC

Re: Speeds

said by jtl999:

Telus has 50mbps now.

In Select areas. And still has some of the worst technical/customer support in Canada and non-bridgeable modems.
Anon filter enabled. Register an account if you want to be taken seriously.

Darhole
join:2005-06-14
Edmonton, AB
·TELUS

Re: Speeds

My experience with Telus has been much more favorable as far as customer service goes than Shaw, one of the reasons I switched after being a 10 year shaw customer.

Second, you can bridge Telus modems just fine, you just have to know what to do (they do not, and will not) provide the info.

crazyea

join:2006-10-26
Surrey, BC
·Shaw
I was actually going to switch to Telus to get the free tv, but I had a contract a couple of years ago for their Satellite and opted out early (paid the exit fee). They said I could have the service but I wouldn't be eligible for the free TV (I never received a gift prior). This seemed very unreasonable to me so I decided to stay with Shaw.