Covad Communications page on DSLReports

Review by fchan65 See Profile

• Location: Berkeley,Alameda,CA
Good "Fast and reliable fixed based wireless carrier"
Bad "Lose connection due interferrence due to objects or large scale emergencies."
Overall "Great for areas due to heavy construction digging up phone or network lines."

We have a fixed based wireless ethernet connection with 6Mb up and down. The original provider was called NextWeb which was bought out by Covad in 2006 and now this division is called Covad Wireless and now they have been bough by TelePacific but there is no TelePacific so that is why I put it Covad category.

I inherited this wireless network from the previous administrator but I think this a good set up. I have a business in middle of a area that is always under construction for various reasons so they tend to dig up the roads here and sometimes dig up phone and network lines so that is the reason we decided go to wireless. We had no real problems with the network until one day they put a construction crane in between us and the base station and our connection will come and go as the construction crane moved during the day. At first we didn't know what was happening so I called the tech for several days until they had sent in a tech and noticed the crane in the way. They were willing to relocate the antenna so the crane will not interfere with the signal. Also during the large scale emergency like the March 11, 2011 Japan earthquake & tsunami which the DHS implemented emergency procedures which affected certain radio frequencies including ones that that run our wireless line. You can upgrade different unit that runs on different frequencies.

I test my connection everyday and we do get about 6Mb up and down and most of the time it is faster than this as you can see in the speedtest I do.

member for 10.4 years, 1405 visits, last login: 102 days ago