Rogers Hi-Speed page on DSLReports

Review by smokemonster See Profile

• Location: London,ON
Good "Highest speed and monthly bandwidth availability in Canada"
Bad "SMC Gateway is overpriced (200 dollars or 7-8 dollars monthly)"
Overall "Despite some recent connection issues, Rogers is very good"

In 2001 we switched from AOL Canada dial-up to Bell Canada's DSL service. The connection was decent for ten years ago, but their technical / billing support was weak, and we got a better offer from Rogers after several years of merely adequate service.

We have been on Rogers for about six years, and I am quite pleased with the service, and technical / billing support, which is located here in Canada.

Early on, we had a basic "dumb" modem by Scientific Atlanta that can be purchased for 80-100 dollars, and performed very well as a pass-through devicewith a D-Link wireless G router.

Over the years, Rogers investment in their infrastructure has made their fastest speeds, up to 50 mbps down, and 2 mbps up, widely available. Fiber optics are a huge part of the Rogers network, and it shows. While Bell talks about its new Fibe service, the only advantage they really offer is upload speeds near 5 mbps.

Rogers fastest download speed is twice as fast as the comparable high-end product from Bell, and gives a much more generous monthly bandwidth cap.

Recently, my SMC Gateway has been acting up, similar to what I used to see when working as a help desk technician for Verizon DSL. Bottom line on modems and routers is that they fail, fail, fail, then fail some more, regardless of the price or range of features offered on the device.

I called technical support today, and the very helpful agent confirmed that the device is dropping its connection, and from his end looked like I had powered down the gateway and/or performed a hard reset. In fact, I had power-cycled the gateway to attempt a reconnect 30 minutes before calling him, and what he was seeing confirmed my suspicion that the device was failing. The support rep on the phone booked a next-day field tech visit with a three hour appointment window.

I am continually impressed not just with the technical aspects of the Rogers ISP in this part of Ontario, but with the consistent hard work of phone reps who seem determined to retain their customers. We enjoy 15% off each of our monthly services, and when money got tight, their retention department worked out something very agreeable.

Rogers gets 4 out of 5 stars from this happy customer.

Comments: