Rogers Hi-Speed page on DSLReports

Review by TomsReports See Profile

• Location: Etobicoke,ON
Good "The service had decent reliability"
Bad "I was able to prove they lied to me - but it wasn't worth the effort."
Overall "The slimiest company I've ever dealt with."

·Bell Fibe
In short: the salesperson lied to me about the deal, and then the C/S reps all told me I had no recourse. Eventually I found a way to get the recordings audited and proved my point. However, in the process they succeeded in making it so miserable for me that I understand why most people just roll over and gave up.

The full story:

Wife and I moved to a new house and tried Bell first, but they couldn't service our home so I called Rogers (this is early 2012).

The salesperson quickly offered me a good rate for a period of a year. He even told me I could easily get it renewed by calling back at the end of that year. The next day someone came and installed the service and it worked! Great.

Six weeks later I got a phone call from a 3rd party company to inform me that I had agreed to a 2 year commitment (kinda wierd that they hire a 3rd party to deliver the bad news). So, I called Rogers' customer support and spoke to a rep who seemed very experienced and professional. Her position was simple: all that matters is what the salesperson enters in the system - they didn't care what I claimed the salesperson had said.

I stood firm on my position: that I knew what I was sold and there must be a way that the voice transcript could be consulted, but the reps all insisted that this was absolutely impossible: the voice recordings are for Rogers internal purposes and what I was asking for was impossible. These conversations were immensely frustrating because I knew 100% that I had not been told about a 2 year commitment.

I've been here before, and I've talked to many other people in the same situation. What can you? You just let it go. But this time I spoke to someone who works for Rogers and they told me that what the reps told me wasn't true - I could get to the transcript of the original call. Now, I'm sure that many battle hardened Rogers/Bell customers know how to make this happen, but I think most customers don't. It involved more calls, asking to speak to an S.E.T., and sending an old fashioned letter, but it was possible so I did it, and they eventually admitted that the salesperson never mentioned any commitment.

They also admitted to my claim that the salesperson had said I could call back after the year and get the deal renewed, but apparently their systems don't allow this. I didn't push that point because it was not the main issue, but was surprised that even after listening to the audio recording and admitting that all my claims were true, they were still telling me that parts of what I was told would not be honoured.

I think it is important to note that the deal that the salesperson signed me up for was pretty simple: I get a discount for 1 year on a 2 year commitment. Though they offered the deal quite quickly I ended up speaking to the salesperson for quite a while, making sure I got all the details and taking notes, and in that whole time he never mentioned the second half of that. This is not an oversight. I've heard endless reports of this from other people - particularly of changes made to the account that resulted in an extension of the user's commitment without their knowledge.

2013-02-16 I cancelled when my term was up - due to the above. When you cancel you must give 30 days notice. During this 30 day period my service became quite poor - in the evening it is often unusable. I called Rogers about this and they said they can't give me T/S after I've cancelled - that my connection is not accessible to T/S. We have had to tether off my wife's phone and try to minimize our use during this last 30 days.

So, I'm still paying full and the requirement that I continue for 30 days after cancelling is their requirement, but my service can die and they won't help me - I'm not surprised, really, this is Rogers. I'm just glad it will be over soon.

Comments:
join:2012-06-11

Fraud!

Seems like a criminal act to me. Sounds like you need to contact the CTRC and file an official complaint. Let Rodgers know what you are going to do, I can see them squirming in their chairs. LOL
TomsReports

join:2012-01-22

Re: Fraud!

But the sad thing is that it is rather ordinary. I've often heard people complain that their Robellus contract got extended and they didn't remember the rep having mentioned it.

trrakmann

@telus.net

Re: Fraud!

Generally: contracts can't be added/extended without permission of the client. Entry into a contract has to be by very clear verbal or in writing.
If put in a contract, the company really should be sending a copy of the contract to the consumer in order to confirm details as well as a very good reminder that they are in a contract for a specific term.
All early terminations fees must be clearly marked.

Generally: Extending a contract automatically without any notification and without a confirmation reply by the consumer confirming it, is criminal.
If you had something changed by you or the company that caused a contract extension, they have to tell you that is going to happen.

All perks(laptop/xbox/tablets) given to the consumer for signing a contract are to be pro-rated, so that if a contract is terminated early, the consumer only pays a portion of that perks termination fee, instead of the old standard of full termination fee(like $300 instead of a prorated $20).

Ontario ministry consumer complaints.
»www.sse.gov.on.ca/mcs/en/pages/default.aspx

Consumer rights pages
»www.sse.gov.on.ca/mcs/en/Pages/Y···hts.aspx

Anyone who violates the Consumer Protection Act, 2002 may be subject to prosecution Individuals violating certain sections of the act are liable to a fine of up to $50,000 or imprisonment of up to two years less one day. A corporation can be fined up to $250,000.
File a complaint
»www.sse.gov.on.ca/mcs/en/Pages/C···ile.aspx

Commissioner for complaints for telecommunications services
»www.ccts-cprst.ca/