RCN CABLE page on DSLReports

Review by Ryno See Profile

• Location: Danielsville,Northampton,PA
Good "Fast, way faster than DSL"
Bad "Nothing so far"
Overall "Dropped Verizon DSL for RCN cable."

·Verizon Online DSL
Verizon DSL just wasn't getting it done any more. Connecting at 2.8 MB in today's world doesn't cut it. There are too many toys connected at once.

I switched to RCN once they finally upgraded my lines after living here 15 years. Took them long enough. I got the 25/2 plan and so far it has not tested out less than 26/2.4 for me. Was down for a couple hours one day but they tell me they were still upgrading some of the system and that it was scheduled.

The price is supposed to be $39.99 mo but I got my ow modem so it's $5 less... Same as Verizon was charging me. I know in year 2 and 3 it goes up $5 per month more but it's worth it to get speeds that are 9 times faster in the real world. Also if I want to I could upgrade to 50 MB or75 MB. I figure I have no need for that now since this seems blazing fast compared to DSL.

I can now watch HD videos, use my slingbox HD, and not wait forever to download stuff. Overall, I can't complain as of now. Hopefully they continue to be reliable in the future.

Comments:

cheater1

@rcn.com

RCN > Verizon

Me too! I did the same thing. I had Verizon business dsl for 30$/month was promises 5Mbps upload and 2Mbps download. It was so slow, couldn't watch Youtube at 360p. I upgraded to RCN 25/2 plan and I never get less than 25.5Mbps download and 2.2Mbps upload. Now I can load 4+ youtube videos at 1080p without problems. I also had outages my first month. Onetime it was because someone disconnected the cable, don't know who but I managed to find the problem. But month 2 and 3 not one outage. I rate RCN 5/5!