Cox HSI page on DSLReports

Review by Sikki See Profile

• Location: Smithfield,Providence,RI
Good "Blazing fast speeds"
Bad "e-mail not able to connect at times (but seems fixed now)"
Overall "Never thought I would say this but I love cable!"

UPDATE 07-14-2014

I have moved to Smithfield, RI and had no issues with the service. It never seemed to go down and the speed was very good.

I recently signed up for Contour and the install was pretty painless. Since the install I have had several outages and other issues with the cable. There are times where the service is down for a few hours or more. I know its not my equipment as I can't connect despite bypassing the router and direct connecting the modem to the computer. If things don't improve it will be time to look elsewhere.

**********************************************************************************************************************************

UPDATE 7-19-2550 There has been a speed upgrade done for me and I didn't have to pay a single penny for it. I did get a the new D-Link modem DCM-202 and the speeds have skyrocketed. Here is the latest speed test:
»/speedtests/51···21807830

It looks like I am moving to Mass. within a few months and am bummed that Cox isn't there. There was one night the mail was down and one other night of no service but other than that it has been fantastic. Wish I could stay with Cox in MA.

UPDATE 4-6-2005: Things continue to run smoothly. There was a few minutes of downtime but for only 30 minutes or so. I am very happy with Cox. I will have to move to Mass. in the near future and hope that Cox is my provider there too.

UPDATE 10-14-2004: Well I have moved from Arizona to Rhode Island and have Cox out here. The service rocked before but now with the additional speed I really love it. There was one time when my D/L speed was the same as the U/L but less than an hour later it was fixed. Pings for the game servers I play on are in the high 20's to low 30's. I've read some bad reports about Cox HSI in Rhode Island but not here.

When I ordered the service here I was able to keep my account name. The person who took the order over the phone said to keep things in my mail accounts with the west server. I didn't understand why I had to do that so I just went in and changed the servers to the east and have not had a problem with anything.

I have had high speed wireless, dial-up and DSL before getting Cox. I wasn't too pleased with their cable service and really didn't know what to expect with their internet service. I finally took the plunge and ordered it after going to a friends house and seeing how well Quake 3 Arena worked on Cox HSI. I got hooked up and almost right away had a problem getting synched up. I called and had a tech come out and after 10 minutes of digging in the backyard, the service was up and ruinning. The connection itself has been rock steady and I have had no problems with it at all. There has been some line work a few late nights but nothing to be upset about.

The only negative aspect is that once in awhile the e-mail server appears to go down for minutes at a time. It doesn't happen often but it does happen enough times to warrant mention. The outages are usually a couple minutes long. It happens 2-3 times a month.

The speed I get is balzing as mentioned above. I am going to be moving back east in a few months and see that Cox is the cable provider there so will be signing up as soon as I can.

Comments: