Cox HSI page on DSLReports

Review by SlashG42 See Profile

• Location: Metairie,Jefferson,LA
Good "Fastest available in the area. Competitive prices."
Bad "Phone techs are sometimes technically ignorant."
Overall "Better than AT&T, which is the only competition in town."

·AT&T Southeast
Running Premier, I see speedboost downloads up to 32Mb/s for the first couple of minutes then down to 25Mb/s. It is that speed downstream any time of day I test it. That's Mbits, not MBytes.

Uploads are 5Mb fairly steady.

I'm content with it, but could always be faster. Currently it's the best deal the New Orleans area far as I know. They do have Ultimate available, but to me the cost isn't justifiable (yet).

Order and install was good overall. The tech who was sent to the house was very competent and polite.

Running a Motorola Surfboard 6180 I bought myself after a 2-week-long string of random disconnects. Didn't help the disconnects. Those went away on their own. Guessing it was Cox messing with their network.

24x7 phone support is nice. They can't do a whole lot for you during non-business hours since billing and a few other offices are closed, but they can do basic troubleshooting, reset your modem, book a tech, etc. I have always gotten a tech out within 48 hours of calling, usually same day if I call before lunch.

The contractor field techs don't seem to do much besides replace connectors and splitters. As far as signal analysis and comprehending the modem's built-in diagnostic page, forget it. The Cox field techs know their stuff though.

Do be aware Cox has caps now. Whether they are enforced or not is very random it seems.

member for 12.4 years, 1765 visits, last login: a few hours ago