Cox HSI page on DSLReports

Review by TechWhiz See Profile

• Location: Phoenix,Maricopa,AZ
Good "Consistently got faster than I was paying for"
Bad "Poor reliability, have to teach the family troubleshooting"
Overall "Need to choose based on speed in your neighborhood"

I have been with Cox for about 6 years. I like being almost the only one in my neighborhood with it (Tech had said there was only one other person on my trunk when it was installed).

Prior to switching to Cox, I had been with Qwest ever since 256kbps was available in DSL (had an old internal PCI DSL modem with Windows 2000 Internet Connection Sharing set up). I switched from Qwest due to their unfair technology: My neighbor's modem was training at 7Mbps and mine was training at 3Mbps... and we were both paying the same. That's when I had it.

When I switched, I was saving money from Qwest and consistently getting 12Mbps on Cox's Preferred tier when they only rated it for 9Mbps. Then the fun happened: Cox kept increasing the Preferred tier speed without touching the monthly charge. Couldn't complain about that. Oh, and I purchased the Motorola SB5101.

In the past year, though, reliability of the connection became a problem. I had to teach every member of the family how to reboot the modem when the Internet stopped working. Then rebooting stopped "fixing" the issue. I determined it was experiencing T3 timeouts (Cox headend issue).

Finally, I was told that if my modem was 2 years old or more, I would need to replace it with a DOCSIS 3.0 modem ($100) to get the best experience.

So, after a decent run, I decided that, for $100, I would buy an Actiontec Q1000 VDSL2 modem and switch to CenturyLink's 40Mbps tier that I discovered was available in my area. I was assured that (unlike before) my line would provision at 40Mbps. Installation is tomorrow, so we'll see what kind of review I can give CenturyLink.

Comments: