Cox HSI page on DSLReports

Review by Rbinaz See Profile

• Location: 85143
Good "Great Reliable Connection for Broadband -Hope they will offer 100 Mbps one of these days!"
Bad "A little on the pricey side for the speeds offered"
Overall "Not Much To Complain About!"

I have had Cox high speed internet for about four years now and have to
say that I'm pretty happy with the service overall. I have read mixed
reviews all over the valley and have to say for being out in the STV area, I have only one instance where my internet was pulling slow speeds (around prime-time) and this was because Cox never informed us that we should upgrade from a Docsis 2.0 to the newer Docsis 3.0 modems.

The Docsis 2.0 modem was never an issue in my old neighborhood (probably because it was more of a retirement community with older folks who had less use for the internet) and so
I never bothered nor had a reason to look into getting a newer modem due to everything working fine and receiving the speed that I was paying for.

However, when I moved to a more congested area with younger families and was paying for preferred and only receiving at best 5 Mbps during peak times, not only was this effecting me while working from home but also was not such a great experience when Skyping, watching YouTube videos or downloading fairly large pod-casts, etc.

It was then I learned about Docsis 2.0 connecting to only one channel vs. Docsis 3.0 with bonding capabilities and that because more people were likely using the service in my neighborhood, it was simply a matter of me not having a good enough modem.

In all fairness, yes customer service at Cox can be iffy at times but if you have called a few times and the problem persists you will generally get transferred to someone who works in the field and knows what they are doing/talking about so long as the rep on the phone is correctly documenting the problem and escalates it accordingly. If your call
does not get escalated you simply need to ask to speak with a tech.

This was how I learned about the problem being my modem before the rep was going to schedule a service call for a technician to come out (for which I would have had to pay for), in which I would have been told the same thing. I chose to solve the problem through
process of elimination, by doing everything I could inside my home, so I simply bought the modem through Cox (it is a Cisco DPC 3010) and once connected noticed a huge difference at peak-times. I have since upgraded to the premier tier, and currently receive eight downstream channels and three upstream. Here are the test results even at peak times:

»www.speedtest.net/result/2371053644.png

In conclusion, I could not be happier with the service and knowledge of the independent
techs. The speed is now more than adequate for what I need and pretty
fast given STV being more of a rural community a ways out from the
Phoenix/Mesa area.

In conclusion, so long as you have a degree of patience, ask for help in the right way and are willing to work with the reps and techs politely, I'm sure it won't take very long at all to get it resolved. The last thing Cox wants is for it's customers to switch to Century Link and myself having been a past customer of Qwest DSL, I can safely say I surely wouldn't go back to playing their games with either my bill or the service itself.

member for 2 years, 0 visits, last login: 2 years ago