Earthlink Cable Modem Service page on DSLReports

Review by kiddigital See Profile

• Location: Deltona,Volusia,FL
Good "Rock Solid Reliability, Good Speeds."
Bad "Would have to switch to Roadrunner to get the 40Mb wideband speeds now available in this area."
Overall "Solid High Speed Connection at a price you can live with."

Updated 7/28/12: Still going strong with Earthlink via Brighthouse. The speed is now 10Mb/1Mb for the same $41.95 a month. The reliability has been excellent despite a recent outage (first in well over a year). And the pings (important for VOIP and gaming) has actually gone down indicating that Brighthouse has made upgrades to their network.

I just did an internet only comparison to CenturyLink (the only HSI competitor in this area) and they want a laughable $90 for their 20Mb tier of service. I could upgrade my current service to 20Mb/2Mb for only $51.90. Given the decade plus of reliability and present level of satisfaction with the service I don't think I'll ever part with Earthlink and Brighthouse.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------

I originally had RoadRunner service via Bright House Networks (formerly Time Warner). When I first had it installed in the summer of 2000 the speed was 256 up/1500 down for 49.95 a month. By the end of that year it had increased to 256/2000 followed a few months later by 384/2000. It was also around this time that the monthly rate dropped to 44.95. The most recent increase we recieved was to 384/3000 where it stands currently.

I decided to go with Earthlink Cable because it was the exact same service and speed at a lower price (29.95 for 6 mos. and then 41.95/mon. thereafter). In addition I'd get 3 extra email accounts and more personal webspace.

The same day I "cancelled" service with Bright House they called me up to arrange installation for Earthlink. I was fortunate enough to get a sales rep who did some research and figured out that I still had my cable modem and that all I needed was to have it turned back on and provisioned with Earthlink. When all was said and done I was without broadband for about 3 hours.

I have been happy with my cable service for the last 4 years and really have no major complaints. There's the extremely rare occasional outage or bill snafu, but in the end they always find a way to make me happy.

I definitely would recommend Brighthouse Cable Modem service (Earthlink, Roadrunner, Internet Junction) to anyone in this area. It's a much better bang for the buck compared to the only very recently available Sprint DSL (60/mon. for 256/1500) assuming it's even available at your residence.

Comments: