Earthlink Cable Modem Service page on DSLReports

Review by starreem See Profile

• Location: Raleigh,Wake,NC
Good "Faster, cheaper, better customer service than Earthlink DSL"
Bad "Some time web pages seem to lag, could be on my end however."
Overall "Sorry I didn't switch earlier"

4/1/2011 No, this not an April Fools review. I just came upon the six month mark of switching to Earthlink Cable. I started out as a Mindspring customer (dial-up) way back in the 90s and became an Earthlink DSL customer in late 2000, after they gobbled up Mindspring. For the last two to three years, my Earthlink DSL had become less and less stable. I went through several modems, lots of difficult customer service conversations, mostly due to the language barrier. I know the problem was with Bellsouth (AT&T). but with Earthlink as the middleman, and me at the end of the stick, it never seemed to be smooth.

I finally gave up the ghost and switched, after what seemed like 8-10 months of reliably predictable outages immediately following any rain/thunderstorm. The last time I had to speak to an Earthlink rep on the other side of the world was when I switched. They sort of messed up my email addresses, didn't lose anything, but it was annoying nonetheless. My bill is now a few dollars less than Earthlink DSL, faster than advertised, and all my billing and service questions go through Time Warner, not some hopelessly difficult to understand customer service rep in a far away land. I don't have TW cable TV, so I'm not paying their "penalty" for having internet without some cable/phone/internet bundle.

The poor cable guy who showed up for a late day appointment spent much longer time, I'm sure than he expected. I had not had cable for more than 15 years at my home. He had to pull cable from the pole on the street, and a second crew came back a few weeks later to bury the cable in my yard.

My speeds seemed slower with the older Linksys router I was using. I opted to install a Linksys RVS4000 gigabit router that I bought several years ago, but it constantly required re-booting with DSL. It has been rock solid with cable. I have experienced only one outage in six months, and that was repaired within 4 hours.

My upload speeds are slower than with DSL, sometimes slower than dial-up, but I'm rarely uploading anything other than web page requests. But my download speeds are consistently 6-7Mb range, well within my email, surfing, Netflix needs. I thought my service was a 3Mb speed, but maybe it was upgraded, since I don't even see a 3Mb option on their webpage anymore. All in all, I'm very happy, and sorry I didn't switch earlier.

Comments: