Mediacom page on DSLReports

Review by TheRogueX See Profile

• Location: Springfield,Greene,MO
Good "Fast and fairly stable connection"
Bad "Price, punishing fees for cutting the cord"
Overall "Service is good, but the price is almost insulting"

Ordered on Monday, installed by Wednesday at 5pm. Fast (for the region) and reliable so far. I've never really been disappointed in Mediacom, though I wish they would update to DOCSIS 3 speeds in my area. Someday, I'm sure.

Ordered the VIP Pak, with 15/1 (though I get around 12/1.5, no complaining), digital cable, and VoIP for $89.95/month for 12 months. Pre-VoIP install I was given a Motorola SB5100 modem; not sure what I'll get when VoIP is installed on Monday. Knowing Mediacom, it will likely be an Arris.

Overall, the order process and install process was painless. Hopefully the service is as reliable as they've always been for me in the past.

UPDATE: Phone installation was painless last week. Moved me to an Arris TM502G. The 15/1 speed tier actually gets me over 16/1.3 with bursts of just over 20/1.6. It's FAST compared to what I'm usually used to, and I'm happy!

UPDATE: Here we are some 7 months out. I've had serious connection trouble on multiple occasions, had my modem replaced 3 times, and am gradually losing my patience. Nothing as fast is available in my area, however, and even though DSL is much more reliable, it is also more expensive and I *hate* AT&T.

UPDATE: 3 years out now. Have experienced the 50Mbps service but dropped back to the 20Mbps service once the promotional price expired. Service is strong and fairly reliable, running on a Cisco DPC3000 DOCSIS 3.0 modem. Very disappointed with pricing, however, as once we removed cable TV and phone service we were told we had to pay a $15/month 'High Speed Basic' fee ON TOP of the $59.95/month service fee and the $5/month modem rental fee. This fee feels like a cord-cutter punishment fee. Also, the price is insulting once you see the sorts of promotions that they're giving out to new customers and existing customers who are adding internet. It's almost enough to make me want to switch, but lack of competition means there's nowhere to go (AT&T hasn't bothered to install U-Verse in my neighborhood, though hilariously there is U-Verse FTTP DIRECTLY across the street). Yay noncompetitive duopolies!

Comments:

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

Mediacom Support

Thank you for being a long term customer with Mediacom. If you would like to message me with your account information, I will be happy to see what can be done to lower your monthly bill.