Mediacom page on DSLReports

Review by hifilistener8 See Profile

• Location: Savage,Scott,MN
Good "Not much"
Bad "Internet speeds are VERY slow"
Overall "Slow speeds and high prices"

Only consider if you have NO other options!!!

Had the 12/1 service for over 5 years, and for the last three years it's been a constant battle to get speeds of 3 Mbps. During evening hours the speeds often dropped to less than 1 Mbps. Placed many service calls, and had several tech visits where they stated the system is oversold, and the company is not willing to add capacity.

In addition to very slow speeds, we also had numerous issues with DNS, e-mail, jitter, and outages.

After 5 1/2 years we switched to 10/1 DSL(for $12 less per month) where the speeds have been exactly as advertised.

Fall 2012 Update: I have been with my new ISP for two years, and still paying the same amount per month. The service is rock solid, and reliable. The speed is now actually faster than advertised.

I talked with two neighbors who are still on the Mediacom. They said things have improved a bit, but speed still stalls out in the evening and over the weekend. The alternate ISP has taken a large amount of Mediacom customers, and the reduced customers have likely improved the service for those remaining on Mediacom.

Comments:

BusinessOwnr

@mchsi.com

Switching to Mediacom almost ruined my company

Mediacom has the worst customer service ever!

They will say anything they want, and even lie to you in order to keep you as a customer without ever actually fixing the problems on their obviously shabby and broken equipment...

If you are a business and rely on Mediacom, you are in serious trouble, as a single call to Mediacom customer service will result in up to a week's wait time for a truck to come to your business, who will tell you that the trouble is in the the lines so he has to call a line specialist... Up to another week will pass and they refuse to get back to you in person.

How would you feel if you were a business that had to wait on stupid "truck rollout" policies like that when you KNOW that the problem is not in your lines...

Now ask yourself how your professional business will look to others after losing all business communication for two weeks!

Do not make the stupid mistake of transferring your business communications to Mediacom. I did, and I regret it more than any business decision I have ever made.
Expand your moderator at work
JohnJohnson

join:2012-11-12
·Mediacom

Re: Switching to Mediacom almost ruined my company

Looks like I made the same mistake you did BusinessOwnr. I wish I wish I'd read your review before signing up to Mediacom.

My internet tech support business was pretty much reduced to tin cans on strings. I had no idea what equipment we were relying upon til after it was to late and we'd already signed a contract for multiple years of service. Mediacom almost ruined us.

The worst part? Knowing that they were 'politely' trying to hold our hand the entire time they were walking us off a cliff.