Mediacom page on DSLReports

Review by JTR See Profile

• Location: Carbondale,Jackson,IL
Good "Better than DSL, speedy, cheap (while on-contract)"
Bad "Installation wasn't done correctly, speed can sometimes drop below advertised during times of heavy traffic"
Overall "An excellent alternative to DSL, as long as you're willing to deal with possible issues."

I used Verizon DSL (later bought by Frontier) for about 5 years, then in May 2012, I finally got fed up enough and switched to Mediacom. The tech screwed up the install (left/attached a filter/trap on the line that was failing and for the wrong service area), which caused issues for around a month before another tech took a look at the line and fixed it.

I ordered the 20/2 tier (bundled with phone/voicemail), and usually max out at 28/2.8 on tests, so I'm highly satisfied with that. Even after speedboost wears off, my speeds are still usually over what's advertised. On the other hand, during high traffic times of day, my speeds will dip down below advertised.

The supplied modem was an Arris combo DOCSIS 2.0 voice/internet modem with a built-in battery, but that failed within a few weeks (probably because of the line issues). The replacement one is also an Arris DOCSIS 2.0 voice/internet modem, but without the built-in battery.

Overall, I'd say I'm very satisfied.

Orig review date: 8/29/12

Update: 9/10/12

With the students back in town, speeds have dropped by quite a bit. I'm seeing ~25Mbps with speedboost, and as low as 16Mbps during peak times. Still decent speeds though, and Cdale has a backend upgrade planned within the next few weeks for more capacity, so hopefully my speeds will return to their former glory.

Update: 3/7/13

Speeds are fine. Service is pretty good. I sometimes see short (~15 minute) outages around midnight, but I'm not sure if that's my fault or Mediacom's fault. 30Mbps still isn't available here. I've used 170-250GB per month without any issues. Like many other DSLReports members, I see terrible speeds to YouTube's primary cache servers in the evenings, but that seems to be Google's fault, and it can be (hackishly) fixed with a simple firewall rule. I can't think of anything to complain about, other than the lack of the all-digital upgrades that were promised ~7 months ago.

Update: 5/28/13

Speeds are still fine, no issues here. My bandwidth usage is still fluctuating, but I haven't passed 250GB (and it's still unlimited for now). The YouTube cache issues are pretty much nonexistant at this point, I guess YouTube fixed their issues. The price went up (phone by $10, internet by $10, taxes by ~$2), but I already knew that would happen, so again, no complaints (it's still ~$40/mo cheaper than Frontier for vastly superior service). I have another year at this price before the contract expires. The local infrastructure got updated recently, so I'm now getting 30+Mbps, which is great (I see as high as 35Mbps at times!).

Comments:

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

Service

I am glad the service is working well for you! Let me know if you have any questions or issues and I will be more than happy to address them for you.