Mediacom page on DSLReports

Review by rblilly See Profile

• Location: Jefferson City,Cole,MO
Good "they gave me 20.00 off because the tech was late, and month of Nov for free"
Bad "cable tv is fine,,,,but I'm losing phone and internet at least once per day since service installed"
Overall "Don't use Mediacom"

I moved to Jefferson City on October 8th. Phone/Cable/Internet was installed that day. I haven't had any problems with my cable, however techs had to come out on Friday because I'll make a call, hang up, then not have a dial tone even though I wait 10 or 15 seconds to make the next call so the modem can reset. Of course, I lose internet at the same time. The techs had to go up on a ladder outside and readjust wiring, and removed a splitter since I only use one tv and one phone. They told me the signal should be twice as good and tested the phone line while here. It's Saturday, and early this afternoon I returned from the festival and my phone wasn't working. Usually I unplug the modem and replug and it will reset and work fine(for a while, anyway), but only a couple lights came on this time. I unplugged and replugged, unplugged and replugged. It came back on, I made a call to my parents, and I was disconnected. I unplugged and replugged, and had to call Mediacom, threatening with a BBB complaint, although the tech woman was very nice and credited my account for the time it would take for another tech to come out on Tuesday. It's up and running again, but I feel like I'm checking the lights on the modem every couple minutes to see if all are on, and I try not to use the laptop or phone much. I personally don't think it's a modem problem or connections on the inside of the apartment.....they'll have to check the outside wiring again as I was told by the tech that there was some out of range connection problems.

UPDATE::::::::::

Well, the techs have been out 6 times in a 3 week period, one came this morning. As usual, the phone/internet went out around 1030am and probably won't go back on until 4pm or 5pm. I'm at the library typing this.

Techs came out twice on thursday, the first switching modems, saying that he was giving me a modem designed for wireless which I should have had with my order in the first place. Within a 1/2 hour, the phone/internet weren't working.

Three vans pulled up around 5pm later that day, replacing the modem again with a brand new modem. I lost two calls that evening, and phone and internet service went out from around 10am on Friday until 4pm.

Because the phone/internet were working this morning, the tech this morning couldn't do much except check the outside, and it seemed ok. He also told me that because the modem had been switched out, there was little history on it, and i was best waiting a week until they could see the history of when i was losing signals, etc. UGGGGGGGGGGG.

Tech support is saying that a possible area wide signal which should be around 0, is at 12 percent or greater, and another signal that should be around 30 or better is in the 20's.

My case has been escalated at least twice, and now maintenance is supposed to come out and other Mediacom personnel are supposed to look into whatever it will take to resolve the signal problems.

In the meantime, my NEW SERVICE WITH CENTURY LINK will be installed on Wednesday, and Direct TV is coming out Tuesday to install the dish.

The Better Business Bureau of NY has informed me that my complaint has been sent to Mediacom Headquarters and a response is pending. From what I've heard, they sometimes don't ever respond to BBB complaints. They're not even registered with the BBB, and for good reason, as they'd have a lousy rating.

My landlord emailed me this morning telling me he had warned me not to go with Mediacom, and I responded that I didn't realize that their customer service was THAT bad.

GOOD RIDDANCE, MEDIACOM.

member for 1.1 years, 5 visits, last login: 1 year ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:

MediacomChad

Service

rblilly,

I completely understand your frustration with the issues you have had thus far. I will be more than happy to look into them from here. Can you send me an IM with your account or phone number?

3 edits

(personal info removed-tmpchaos)
In addition to the problems I'm already having, there was an area outage today, and my phone was down most of the day, and I think there was one earlier this week

I've reported Mediacom to the Better Business Bureau in NY, and have not only asked for the 90 day money back guarantee of the 129.00 I paid, but an additional 100.00 for pain and suffering in missed important business calls, losing minutes on my cell phone that I had to use when the landline was down, etc.....and I've asked that the refund not take 4-6 weeks as promised, but that I receive it a lot sooner for my trouble

I was told by a tech that my area has had problems for at least the 2 years that he's worked for the company and it's gotten worse in the past three weeks. He states that lines coming into my apartment are fine, that it's a neighborhood issue, and that maintenance workers are being called in from another city to work on it because Jefferson City doesn't have enough. I was told by a supervisor that there is no time frame of when this issue will be resolved.

I feel I've given Mediacom every opportunity to resolve this problem, and I can not continue not having phone service on a daily basis, and therefore called Direct TV this morning --from my cell I might add, since I didn't have service.

Mediacom has a C+ rating from the BBB site and most complaints revolve around service issues. Numerous poor reviews are posted on the Middletown NY Corporate Headquarters site

I WOULD URGE ANYONE LIVING IN THE JEFFERSON CITY MISSOURI AREA NOT TO USE MEDIACOM until they hurry up and get maintenance out to look at all the wires in the entire city to explore where their signal problems are coming from.
Mediacom should be upfront with their prospective customers and tell them ahead of time that they've experienced problems in various neighborhoods of the city. Even the Attorney General's office phone's were down less than a week ago and personnel there were highly aggravated and Mediacom made it a priority to get them fixed, according to the tech who visited my home. Too bad Mediacom isn't making it a priority to fix my phone service or the customers in my area to that degree.

Well, I was editing this review,, but, of course my internet gave out on me this morning, one hour after the tech left, so I'm at the library using a computer.

Techs have been out 6 times now in a three week period. Two came out on Thursday. The first replaced the modem with a used one, saying that I had been using a modem not designed for wireless, like I had signed up for. Since I lost phone service and internet within 1/2 hour of him leaving, they sent three vans out around 5pm and delivered a brand new modem. Within an hour, I could hear my Mom on the other end of the phone saying to my stepfather, "This is ridiculous, he lost phone service again", as we were disconnected. And another call was dropped, this time with a Mediacom rep. I had service overnight and lost it around 10am the following morning, as I usually do. So, I was set up with another tech visit this morning(Saturday). Of course the modem lights were working the way they should, and he checked outside and it appeared OK, so he left without being able to do anything---OR WITHOUT DOING ANYTHING that he may have been able to do.
He also told me that because the modem was brand new, that there was only a two day history on it, so I should wait about a week, and if having problems, he would be able to see a pattern on it at that time. Made me feel like I should have kept the old modem so they would have a two week history on that one.

Tech support keeps telling me that a signal that should be around 0, is up to 12 percent or more, and another one that should be around 30 or better is in the 20's.

People at Mediacom are starting to know me on a first name basis, and probably don't have to pull up my address anymore. My Mom thinks i should charge techs rent for them to live with me to be around when the phone doesn't work.

I emailed my landlord and asked him where he wanted the satellite dish for Direct TV, since i told him I was switching to Centurylink/Direct TV this coming week. He responded that he had warned me not to go with Mediacom. I responded that I didn't realize that Mediacom service was THAT bad. I told him that they gave me next month free for my trouble, and I had been trying to work with them to resolve the issue, but at this point it didn't matter if they gave me a zillion credits on my account, I'm not going to tolerate losing phone/internet service on a daily basis, especially since it seems to occur between the hours of 10am and 4pm. This morning i told the rep, "I know it's going to go out as soon as you leave, probably around 10am"......i checked the clock when it did and it was at 1030am on the button. Hopefully, when i get home this evening around 4 or 5, it will be back on.

My case has been escalated, of course,,,twice i believe. Maintenance is supposed to look into this. The tech told me that hopefully maintenance will be out before Wednesday, and you can stick with Mediacom. With the stress that Mediacom has put me through, that's not going to happen. I'll never be able to trust Mediacom service again, even if they say it's permanently fixed. I'll always wonder, while I'm away from the apartment, if a caller will get "the line's been temporarily disconnected", or whether they'll get my answering machine to pickup.

Good riddance Mediacom.

Re: Service

I definitely do not like to hear a customer is having so many issues and don't want to see you switch to another provider. If there is anything you would like me to look into then just private message me on here. In order to do so you'll have to register with the site.

Anonymous
join:2004-06-01
IA
They will refund any service and installation fees but that's about it. There is no way to expedite the process or that's what I was told a while ago. Area upstream SNR issues are not easy to pinpoint and fix...
I speak for myself, not my employer.

2 edits

Re: Service

well, i'll see what happens....I know customer service will only authorize a refund, but now that the BBB complaint has been submitted to the business, they may respond more favorably than with just a refund.......the NY BBB called me yesterday and said if they don't respond at all, it will take their rating down to a D or F.......so either way I'll be happy,,,I either get what I'm asking for or they get the D or F that they deserve

UPDATE:::::::

Area supervisors were supposed to come to my home yesterday--making Mediacom's visits to my home at number 7......I called Mediacom tech support this morning just to see what they accomplished and the supervisor said they couldn't find anything wrong.

She wanted to schedule an 8th visit tomorrow---actually one's scheduled----I told her I had told Mediacom about a week ago that I had been planning to switch to Centurylink this week, so they had some time to get the problem fixed. She understood my frustration and said she'd try to get them out today during the hours that my phone's usually down and call me back..........of course she hasn't called back.

Thanks for the good customer service, Mediacom-----NOT!
Expand your moderator at work

Re: Service

rblilly - I would love to help here. You never got back to me via PM, would there be a time I could call you and work with area management to get this resolved?

Re: Service

I responded to you and thanks for the response,,,,as you know I've messaged you privately.

NOW I"M GOING TO MESSAGE PUBLICLY::

Centurylink and Direct TV are working great and couldn't ask for better service.

I called on November 1st to disconnect all Mediacom services. They told me it would take a WEEK to disconnect...Never heard of that before. You would think if I wanted the service gone instantly, it would be done instantly.

Anyway, it's November 7th, and I called my old number from my Centurylink new number, just to see what the message says, to see if it indicated disconnection. It states that the number is temporarily out of service. LOL. Tells me that if I still had Mediacom phone and internet, neither would be working at the time of the call. I actually called it twice today, and it said the same thing.

I called customer service to make sure my account had been closed and that my number is being disconnected today--I was thinking to myself NOW YOU CAN"T GET RID OF THEM, like a fly that hangs on you, hoping that you won't leave them for another company.

Customer service says the account was closed today, but a tech has to come out and disconnect the signal coming into my apartment. That should be easy, because there is no signal into my apartment. Fortunately, I don't have to be here, like the other 8 times they had to send out a tech.

I don't understand why people would pay about 98.00 including taxes for lousy service with Mediacom, getting a limited amount of stations, and having to have a modem for each phone, when they can switch to Direct TV/Century link for about 85.00/mo including taxes the first year, for over 300 channels, and since I've got two phone jacks running into the apartment, I can make use of both phones without needing two modems, and I still get fast internet.

Makes you think, doesn't it?