WOW Internet and Cable page on DSLReports

Review by kpossible See Profile

• Location: Westlake,Cuyahoga,OH
Good "USED to be great."
Bad "No longer great."
Overall "Don't do it unless Time Warner is your ONLY other option."

UPDATE 12/12/2012: All of the good intentions in the world can't seem to correct my internet bandwidth issue. I am still getting 20's and 30's down - sometimes even in the teens. Keep in mind that my package is 50 down. My upload, at 5, is never an issue.

Also, the digital breakup issue with the video still exists every hour, on a daily basis. I was told that the pixelation issue was recently fixed. I was not for me.

One more chance...

UPDATE 11/24/2012: I may be on the road to a permanent solution to my (and other area user's) internet bandwidth issues! I have been assured of something specific, but am not at liberty to discuss it, as it has not been implemented yet. I am hopeful for the first time in... well, it's been months and months. It's been months of doggedly asserting that there indeed is a problem. *Fingers crossed*

If this works and everything goes back to how it originally was a long, long time ago, then the ratings will go up as well.

UPDATE 11/21/2012: My 50 mb down package renders me 15-25 mb down for solid blocks of time each and every evening (depending on the day of the week) from 7:00 p.m. to 12:00 a.m. I have been told that they are looking into this . A friend of mine in my immediate area has WOW's 15 mb down package and during the times that he has checked his bandwidth, he is getting that. So, does that mean it's good to get the lower bandwidth packages, but not the higher? I will update when I receive a response.

UPDATE 2012: Unreliability has become the cause of the day with WOW. Old equipment, pixelation and outages and extreme internet variability have replaced the WOW of old. I don't know what's going on, but more and more I feel trapped between the lesser of two (cable) evils. What's more is, they make the customer feel that the problem is all their own, not WOW's (except for this last epic fail with the picture for 24 hours, so far).

I used to be one of WOW's biggest proponents, a staunch supporter and defender. I recommended them to all I knew who were on the hunt for service. Now, I wouldn't dream of doing that.

Please, WOW, make dramatic service improvements, boost reliability and, for goodness sake, change your self-righteous attitude. I want to amend this review for the better in the near future!

2003:
I am, so far, impressed with Wide Open West. The speed has been reliable - I have their 3000/500 package. I rarely drop to any speed below those values. I was a somewhat satisfied Adelphia customer, until they halved the speeds. So, for $3.00 more, I am getting double the speed. I am told that I would not be able to actually see a difference in performance between 1500/256 and 3000/500, but I don't find that to be true. I can.

Installation was okay - there was a delay due to the accounts department at WOW, not the installer. The charge for complete installation was $4.95. I own my own modem. If I did not own, I believe that they would have charged me $2.50 per month for modem rental.

I am a couple of weeks into this service and will update as necessary.

Comments: