WOW Internet and Cable page on DSLReports

Review by Rambo76098 See Profile

• Location: Blacklick,Franklin,OH
Good "Great Customer Service, Connection finally working well"
Bad "Botched Install, Poor Connection due to Crappy WOW Modem"
Overall "Not the cheapest, but great service"

To start this off, want to note this is overall a positive review. Wouldn't have said that at first, but a few months in things are finally where they should be.

Anyway, when AT&T announced caps, I started shopping around. Put my addy into WOWs website to see if service was available. Got a call from a sales rep Jesse and I placed an order for 15/1 internet only. Install was available quickly. Day of, installer never showed. Called Jesse - he forgot to put in the order. No problem, stuff happens.

Next appointment, installer shows up REALLY early, I have to leave work early to get home. Installer refuses to move the coax line from going across the deck (previous owner) to either under the deck or thru the existing hole being used by UVerse (equipment for both are in my condo's yard, inches from the building). Sign off of on the install (what else can I do?) and call WOW right away, they send an employee out the next day instead of a contractor. He moves the line, takes the WOW box off the back (not sure why they installed it for the previous owner, the line was grounded inside the unit, even said so in the box). Things are finally working at this point. Last issue was that Jesse made it sound like a router was included in the $5/mo equipment fee. They gave me a $50 bill credit for the issues and to buy a router.

Right off the bat I had connection issues. Would go down quite often, and pings/speeds would fluctuate quite badly. Turned out to be the crappy modem they gave me (Scientific Atlanta Webstar DPX100). If you ever get WOW installed, DO NOT ALLOW THEM TO INSTALL THIS MODEM! Ask instead for the Scientific Atlanta DPC2100R2. I had several months of connection problems and almost canceled and went to Insight over it.

Now that things are going smoothly, I am very satisfied with WOW. Speeds delivered are consistent, and are exactly as advertised (15/1). Wish the install process would have gone better, and WOW hadn't given me a crappy modem that was stamped as manufactured in 2002.

Update 7/15/14. Great reliability and speeds are consistent, even at peak times. No complaints. Was upgraded for free to 2mb upload instead of 1. Only one bill increase, I think 2 bucks a month.

Comments:

Worst cable

@96.27.65.x

Wow is worst

Wow cable is the absolute worst

karen

@173.87.50.x

Re: Wow is worst

Absolutely ! I wish there was a different cable service in my area ! Programing breaks up & cuts out constantly. Also can't get GSN any more.

Re: Wow is worst

They are A HELL of a lot better than TWC, AT&T, and Comcast. I've had all of them before, and hope to never use them again.

jasonwolf

@99.46.4.x

wow

You could not find worse company than wow way. They put all kind of ridiculous charges on your monthly bill. installation fee, modem fee, etc. even you did install by yourself and have your own modem. They put more charges than the contract you signed on. You would get hung up when you tried to talk about this. So stay away from this business.

Re: wow

There's no such charges on my bill. It has one line: Internet Services: $52 a month.

No modem, no equipment, etc. Sorry sir, but you are mistaken or misinformed.

davidbrandt

@64.53.201.x

Crapy billing

Wow has a habit of never sending a bill with the same charges, they're over priced and you don't get what you pay for. I've called them tree times asking why I don't have the velocity channel, they said that I should be receiving it because it's included in my program package, they said they would add it and the other channels I'm not getting, never happened yet, they're liars. I'm in the process of looking for a different carrier, one that's not full of crap, doesn't overcharge and knows how to run a coax cable without leaving it on the ground, I also called about this and was told they would take care of, it still hasn't been done to this day.

Re: Crapy billing

Probably not the best review to complain about TV service on... since I don't have cable TV. Giant waste of money.

Cher Freds

@71.203.69.x
They don't exist. Comcast sucks. Been with them for 20+ yrs. and my bill is never the same. I constantly have to fight to get my service discount I earned after 20 yrs. and then they up my regular bundle rate. They have overseas people who can't speak english so they make the situation worse. I can't seem to find an alternative. Best of luck to you.