WOW Internet and Cable page on DSLReports

Review by smdoginlife See Profile

• Location: Canton,Wayne,MI
Good "Great Reliability"
Bad "Everything Else Lately"
Overall "Customer Service is Nonexistent Right Now"

I've been a fan of wow for over 4 years, since they were first installed. Originally, contacting sales was a pleasant experience and I got an install date within the week.

The installer who came out outright called me a liar when I said the sales rep promised they would fish a new outlet for me for free. I had to physically contact the sales department again to get them to talk to the installer and confirm this, and then when he went into the attic to fish the line down, he lied and told me he couldn't do it, that my -inside- walls were insulated (which is BS, I know my house, been in the attic many times and pulled up my insulation to look down). So installation was a bummer - I'd advise recording the phone call with the sales rep who makes you promises so you have something to play back for the installer.

Once installed, my internet and cable service has been stellar! I have no complaints at all about it. I can count on one hand how many times I've had tech support issues, and usually they are resolved in a timely fashion. I've loved my WOW internet and cable service way more than I loved my Comcast service.

HOWEVER, WOW has been "upgrading their support system" for well over a month, if not longer. I've been wanting to make a change in my plan, and 8 of 9 calls I make to their customer support number (1-866-496-9669) results in a busy signal. And anytime I do get through, I get a message telling me the wait time for a service representative is HUGE. I've tried waiting on hold for 20-40 minutes at a time (tried multiple times), and every time I simply end up hanging up out of frustration, never getting in contact with anyone.

It's been outrageous how long this has been going on. I'm totally upset and frustrated, and have emailed their support email only to get a message back that basically says they can't help me via email, that I need to call in. Seriously? This is completely unacceptable, but I can't get anyone on the line to complain about it. So here I am, putting this review out there so people can read it.

I'm about ready to cancel. But how can I cancel? I can't even get in contact with anyone to do so. I've thought about writing a letter to the FCC and the BBB about this, but I'm not sure it would do any good. I may end up having to send a registered letter to their service center. This has been the worst customer service experience IN MY LIFE, and I don't say that lightly.

If you go with WOW, you'd better pray that you have no plan-changes or issues that require contacting their service department.

(FYI the "total monthly cost" includes not just my internet service through them, but my cable and phone service as well)

Update: 12/21/2012 at 1am:

I was finally able to get through to a customer service rep a few minutes ago (after midnight of all times). I already had another service provider installed, and so I told the rep that I wanted to cancel. She asked why, and I told her that this was the first time in 2 months I was able to reach an actual person.

She alluded to some "hiring of extra support" for the end of the year. I have to wonder if they completely shut down a support site or two and moved locations elsewhere. Of course this is speculation, but she did have a strange almost "Yooper" accent - if not Northern Michigan, then Minnesotan, Alaskan, or maybe Canadian. Again, I'm not sure whether this is true or not, but her allusion was interesting, so it sounds like it was an issue of lack of support personnel at least in part.

Best of luck to anyone that sticks with WOW. I may be back if they ever get things sorted out. For now, I'll enjoy a cheap introductory rate with another provider.

Update #2 - Jan 4, 2013 @ 4:30pm: Just got a bill in the mail for billing period 12/29-1/28. Had to wait on hold for another 30 minutes today to get to a billing agent who told me "Oops. We will issue an 'incorrect bill' form which will take 7-10 days to process." I'm still due the $50 for the 1/3 partial month of Dec I didn't have service. I'm not sure when I'm going to get it at this point.

Another failure of WOW's customer service department. And I have a feeling I'm going to have to call again in a couple weeks to make sure the 'incorrect bill' report was filed and processed. Do yourself a favor and avoid this mess yourself.

Comments: