Review by cwcjr
Good "Better than dial-up -except during prime time!"
- Location: Huntsville,Madison,AL
- Cost: $173 per month
Bad "Poor services, deceptive marketing, unreliable service, overpriced"
Overall "Avoid if you have other options."
|Pre Sales information:|
Value for money:
(ratings below consensus)
Update Sept 2013: Now they have added actual false/deceptive advertising to the mix. With the Speed channel going to FS1, they sometimes put or temporarily move programs to FS2 - in HSV market 194. I called when a football game ran long and the race was moved to FS2 - but I had a not authorized screen. Sales said it should be active with the Digital Preferred. So he transfers me to Cable Support, and I get told 'nope it only comes with the sports package add-on'. He tells me to go to the Website to see what comes with Digital Preferred - guess what - the Website says it is included in the Digital Preferred without the Sports Package. However, he will not activate it unless I pay for the Sports Package! Sales says its included, The website says its included, but the tech says you gotta pay for the sports package: False/Mis-leading/Deceptive advertising!
Prices keep going up as well as the wait time to get someone from Customer Service to answer the phone.
The service is getting worse, outages seem to occur at least once a week (last week 4 times over 2 days).
We keep getting Emergency Broadcast message for Florida, Georgia, and the Carolinas that that have nothing to do with Huntsville.
A company in seeming disarray.
By the way, the internet speed is still horrible. Captured history charts (forwarded to Techs) show download speeds worse than upload speeds on weeknights between 8 and 11 pm. Been going on for many weeks.
Update Aug 2013: WOW data rates are WORSE than dialup between 8 pm and Midnight, even when paying for premium data rate upgrades. Nothing but excuses and no fixes for the last 90 days.
Update July 2013: WOW has taken over Knology and the service is TERRIBLE. They have oversold their capability in the area and the nightly data rates for download are 1/2 the upload rate!!!! Paying for the upgraded 15 Mb and getting 0.6 Mb (yes that is Mb not MB) download between 5 pm and midnight. It is now Way (WOW) overpriced and using their Email via a Client is a joke. It will lockup Outlook and financial institutions cannot reliably communicate with their investors that use a Knology Email address. Synacor and Cloudmark (their Email and spam filtering services) cannot seem to get it straight.
I originally (2007) had the all in one (Phone,Internet, Cable) -premium w/ HD and all major movie channels. Had to cut back to delete ALL the premium movie channels to get it down to $137. At the time I contracted it, it came with the fasted speeds they offered for internet. They have now upgraded to have some more costly premium speeds available and multiple tier options in the bundles. Trying to figure out what options you have (pick and choose) is not possible from the information on the Internet. You MUST call in to get pricing on individual services.
The greatest frustration is the decrease in reliability as they expand. An example is this weekend, all Knology (hosted) domains' Email is down for over 24 hours. Sure does NOT make you want to run right out and sign-up for Electronic Delivery of your financial and investment notifications using a Knology hosted email account.
Since their last major reshuffling of the channels and upgrades, digital dropouts and artifacts in the middle of the TV screen are becoming the norm. Some shows are so broken up that you cannot watch them and it does not matter if it is live or recorded.
When you have an internet speed problem and call in, you get the impression that they are 'throttling' people until they complain. All the resetting, unplugging, and testing I had done before calling, then magically doing it once with them on the line and the problem seems to go away - for a while...
And the classic deception, your Knology IP address to the internet is NOT truly DHCP: it seems that it is reserved unto your address so that advertisers, doubleclick, Google, Intellus, etc., (Police and Homeland Defense) can always find YOU. As a test, I released the Knology internet link from the router, unplugged the router, unplugged the modem, Shutdown all the computers, went on the road, and came back two weeks later to the same IP address. Knology refreshes the connection ever three hours in a growing subdivision, so I guess the assignment is not DYNAMIC.
WOW Deceptive Marketing, bad service
WOW recently took over Knology. The service is very poor and declining.
1) Data rates between 8 pm and midnight are less than 1 mbit that is bit not byte! for Download. Even if you are paying for their 25 Mb Edge service. Folks that is WORSE than dial-up. Been fighting this problem for over 120 days.
2) Cloudmark filtering for Synacor, their Email handler, has a perpetual problem with Epsilon internet services. e.g, if your financial services company distributes documents to you via a knology email address - you don't get them!! They do not even make it to your spam filter to find out that anything was sent to you. Been over 8 months fighting that problem.
3) Paying for upgraded data rates is functionally just paying for a higher throttling speed-limit WHEN THERE IS NO TRAFFIC. They sell it to you as being like an HOV lane during peak demand times, but that is deceptive, see item 1).
4) Digital dropouts on the cable service are horrendous. Attempting to record shows has been a waste on many nights because the shows continually freeze. Yes, the service and equipment at the house has been checked! The techs (several) have confirmed that they oversold the area and have too many houses on a single server. They have been deceptful about it 'should be fixed in a couple weeks' for 4 months.
PS: The difference in cost between the knology and subsequent WOW reviews is that I DROPPED all premium movie channels. Otherwise the cost would have risen about $30 for the same services.....
member for 11.3 years, 68 visits, last login: 67 days ago
updated 67 days ago