CableOne page on DSLReports

Review by Pashune See Profile

• Location: Gautier,Jackson,MS
Good "Really fast and reliable; Better than AT&T"
Bad "300 GB isn't as much as it once was."
Overall "Fast and reliable but the caps really need to be increased.."

·Vonage
1/12/14

I'm now on the 50/3 tier using my SB6180 modem. Same price, increased upload speed, same cap.

I've run into a problem though.. It's becoming increasingly difficult to stay under that 300 GB soft-cap. As I have friends visit every weekend, it's not unheard of to download 15 or maybe even 20 GB in a single day. Crunchyroll, Netflix, Youtube, you name it. It all adds up especially when you don't have basic TV service despite nearly everything we watch can't be found on TV, so figure that one out. Everything is becoming more connected to the internet and more data is consumed as a result.

I've broken the cap twice; once at 304 GB.. 2nd time around 354 GB. After the 3rd time they'll supposedly force me to a higher tier. =\

My speeds have been fantastic, no real issues to speak of except for the cap. I'm hoping they raise it sooner or later; I can't justify (or really afford) the cost of paying $75 for internet just for a 100 GB increase and 60/4 speeds at this time.

6/18/13

Upgraded from 10 meg to the new 50/2 tier with 300 GB softcap, although I'm still on a old D2 single-channel modem (50 meg requires D3) as of writing this post I'm regularly hitting 25-30 mbits/sec down on speed tests + 2.5 mbit upload which indicates that the node in my area is far from saturated. Reliability as always is top notch with CableOne in my area. Very few problems have been encountered other than lightning striking my backyard (shorted out tap) and a bizarre throttling issue that has long since been corrected over a year ago. EDIT: Got the new modem; SB6180. See images

I can't recommend them enough if your area is well managed like mine.

10/07/10

Upgraded from 5 meg to 10 meg because of how often I keep hitting the 5 meg 2 gb threshold cap. Needless to say... there was a huge improvement after updating my service package. I was trying my hardest to hit the cap through casual downloading and watching videos online.. along with other users on my network.. but I never really hit it until a few minutes before 12 am. Even then, I was still getting 5 meg standard speeds so it was still very fast. Though, I did have to call tech. support to send the new configuration file to my modem as the sales rep. was unable to do so.

My area doesn't seem to have any kind of capacity issues either; I get a little over 10 megs on speakeasy and close to 10 megs on speedtest.net; also getting my full upstream speeds. Kudos Cableone!

03/03/10

A few strange outages happened last month but they were bearable for the most part; the worst one lasting a few hours. Who knows what was going on that sunny day. I've yet to have another storm-related outage since the one last summer. Still getting my full 5 meg speeds @ 5500 kbits down and 555 kbits up according to speakeasy.net.

Looks like my stats took some sort of hammering after the last outage though:

Downstream
Freq/Power: 549.000 MHz 8 dBmV
Signal to Noise Ratio: 37 dB
Modulation: QAM256
Upstream
Freq/Power: 29.000 MHz 44 dBmV
Channel Type: DOCSIS 1.x (TDMA)
Symbol Rate: 2560 kSym/sec
Modulation: QAM16

Still works like normal on the bright side. No lag, etc.

10/23/09

I monitor my bandwidth records every day to make sure no one in my house hold has gone crazy downloading stuff; it's only happened once or twice, but I still like to check now and then since I'm typically a heavy downloader.

The AUP says if you download greater than 3 gb for more than half of your billing cycle your service may be terminated or suspended without warning. Does this mean the 3 gb daily cap applies to a 24-hour period or between the hours of 12 pm-12 am?

It makes no sense! They call it a daily threshold cap. I brought up this issue because their bandwidth management records for my account are very much messed up. Ex., my bandwidth usage for yesterday was around 1,700 mb or so. Well within 3 gb, right? Well, I check it again 3-4 hours later and it zoomed up to 3,729 mb. Can ANYONE out there explain this phenomenon? The CableOne forums are a nearly dead source of information since the ISP is so small and I'm pretty sure tech. support won't provide an explanation for it.. then again, I'd rather not give them idea of terminating my account anyway.

One anonymous user claimed that the 3 gb daily cap only applies during the monitoring threshold cap period, which would be between 12 pm - 12 am; he also claimed that monitoring has been lifted for weekends, but another user proved otherwise. It makes no sense...

Long story short:

Speeds are still great; up time is excellent; but the caps have me confused and worried that my connection may be terminated.

08/06/09

I signed up with CableOne once again recently, but this time I chose their triple play package (VoIP, cable tv, internet)

My speeds are ABOVE their rated speeds (5 mbit) when being tested on Speakeasy.net (5300 kbps; 555 kbps upstream). CableOne once again brings the service I came looking for. As for those periodic outages a few months back.. they were simply "periodic", that's it.

The cable installers were baffled at the setup outside of my home (Which I did NOT do) and had to install an access box and replace the 30 year old drop going to my home, even though it worked perfectly fine last time I used cableone.

The installers seemed kind of lazy about the installation, but it wasn't anything too bad. The older guy knew what he was doing.. the younger guy.. not so much.

The modem is an Arris Touchstone Telephony Modem. I'm using a DI-604 D-link router with a Netgear WAP connected to it.

The modem stats? Even BETTER than what I had last time!

Downstream
Freq/Power: 549.000 MHz 9 dBmV
Signal to Noise Ratio: 41 dB
Modulation: QAM256
Upstream
Freq/Power: 29.000 MHz 39 dBmV
Channel Type: DOCSIS 1.x (TDMA)
Symbol Rate: 2560 kSym/sec
Modulation: QAM16

That upstream is pretty low.. but as long as it's working, I'm not complaining at all. In fact, doesn't a lower upstream mean a good thing?

Aside from the cost, threshold caps, etc., thumbs up to CableOne.

06/05/09
------------
What happened, CableOne? I know summer is supposed to the climax for bandwidth usage, but the problem I (or in my neighborhood, everyone, according to their modem stats) am experiencing is a complete, temporary disconnection. I was expecting less than stellar speeds as soon as school was out, but not loss of modem sync. This isn't supposed to be DSL! The modem loses sync anywhere from 5 minutes-5 hours. This happens around 10 pm-6 am. I'm speculating that a cable amp may be dieing out nearby, but if it's affecting everyone in my vicinity, could something else be going on? I also acknowledge that cable amps need to be adjusted during the summer, but for 3 days in a row? The time where I use the internet the most, and it disconnects on me.

Typically, I'd temporary use my neighbor's wireless router if my connection was down, but like I said in the beginning of this update: This affects everyone in my local vicinity. (except for DSL customers)

Like I've said in the past; no lag, very consistent speeds, but now I'm just losing sync entirely during the later hours (and so are my neighbors). This has been going on for 3 days.. and I hope it ends already. 3 days may not be so bad, but if this goes on for another week or so, I don't know what I'll do. DSL was just as bad in my area, if not a little worse. WISP? Forget it. I'll move out of Gautier, MS, before I pay $70 per month for 1 mbit wireless access.

Old update:
==========
I ordered CableOne's Residential Plus 3 mbit package 2 days ago and acquired internet service today. The tech was great. He seemed to be VERY experienced with his job and on top of that, we were able to carry on a hilarious conversation. He had to go through a few Motorola Surfboard modems to find one that would work but in the end all was well.

The modem is a Motorola Surfboard SB5101. It is connected to a Zyxel 802.11g 4-port router/switch.

As for line stats, everything looks great:

Downstream Value
Frequency 549000000 Hz
Signal To Noise Ratio: 40.8 dB
Power Level 6.5 dBmV

Upstream Value
Channel ID 2
Frequency 32000000 Hz
Power 41.0 dBmV

Both upstream and downstream speeds are perfect. Speakeasy tests download around 3270 kbits downstream and 305 kbits upstream. Compared to the previous AT&T DSL service that I had, this is a godsend. I would recommend CableOne to ANYONE who is struggling with a poor, attenuated DSL line in their localized area.

My only real complaint is the bandwidth caps which halve your speed between 12 pm - 12 am if you download more than 1.3 GB on my speed package. I have no problem with this.. at least until I need more speed. =p

In short, I am very pleased so far.

member for 8.6 years, 3537 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Carl
join:2004-07-21
Opelousas, LA

Good to see that you're rid of AT&T, buddy!

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
join:2006-04-14
Gautier, MS

Re: :)

I got rid of them a looooooooooooong time ago, lol. U-verse is pushing up to 18 mbit speeds in my area now but I'm not switching.

My cable plan is actually still cheaper than what they have to offer.
CableOne 50/2

Carl
join:2004-07-21
Opelousas, LA

Re: :)

I wouldn't believe that 18Mbps claim at all, given that they could barely deliver 1.5!

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
join:2006-04-14
Gautier, MS
·Vonage
·CableOne

Re: :)

Hahah yeah, there really is a new RT about a mile away though so I'd expect a little improvement despite being on 24/26 ga wiring.

I'd never go back with them though. Even their techs are incompetent. I see DSL as something that's just way too sensitive to any kind of interference and with all the problems I've had with it (including other people I know), I can't bear the thought of going back. My father is facing random disconnects despite being really close to the nearest RT and getting full sync speeds.. they haven't been able to fix it at all. He's aggravated as all hell, lol.

CableOne techs almost always shows up the same day; I have to wait like a week with AT&T.. and now that service is exactly $50 per month without modem leasing, I think the choice is pretty clear.
CableOne 50/2