CableOne page on DSLReports

Review by lordpuffer See Profile

• Location: Rio Rancho,Sandoval,NM
Good "Nice, Fast Internet Now With Higher Caps"
Bad "Upload At 6mbps Max Is Too Slow"
Overall "Happy With The Service Except For The Upload Speed"

I called and ordered CableOne's 50mbps service when I moved over a week ago. CenturyLink also offers service at my new address, however, the fastest speed that they offer is 20mbps.

When I called in the order, the Rep put down the wrong date for the install, so I ended up having to push the date back by a day. The installer who came over was very courteous, professional and helpful. He ran a new cable from their equipment to my modem, since my existing cable was about 20 years old.

The speed is fast and pretty consistent. I get around 50/2 most of the time. I'm just concerned with the 100GB Cap. I'm not sure how much NetFlix I'll be watching in the near future.

UPDATE 6/29/13: No more 100GB Cap. I upgraded to their 70/2 plan. It's pricey at $100 per month (especially with the upload max of 2mbps), but I cut down on other things in my life. I get consistant speed test results around 70/2. I am very pleased.

UPDATE 11/14/13: CableOne raised the upload speed on the 70 down plan to up to 6mbps. That's great, but IMO, it's still too slow for how much I'm paying for Internet service.

member for 9.8 years, 3100 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
Couriant

join:2012-10-29
Peoria, AZ

Netflix usage

As long as you don't stream in High Definition (which is about 1GB per hour), you should be fine. Good quality runs about .2GB per hour.

The Data Usage Calcuator should give you some idea of your potential usage as well as accessing your current data usage at www.mycableone.com - My Account Settings. The 24 hour technical help line (1-877-692-2253) can also assist in checking your usage.

jasonkradiog

@cableone.net

Re: Netflix usage

Why should we have to call the number, or go online constantly to check our usage?? How about they just give us a much higher more reasonable cap?? We have the lowest cap of any ISP in the country other than the cell phone providers. That's ridiculous!
Couriant

join:2012-10-29
Peoria, AZ

Re: Netflix usage

You should be checking at least the bandwidth usage as you are on a metered plan. Now I do know internet usage has changed in the last few years, perhaps there would some modifications in the future.

Just to give you an idea, Cox will shut you down after 250GB as a one time thing then if you go over the limit again, your disconnected completely. At least here you pay for any additional usage that you have agreed on in the terms and conditions.

dr3yec

join:2002-12-19

Re: Netflix usage

LOL, try to charge me for overages and I will be the first to jump ship. I watch all my TV online and I am not going to be told other wise. Your meters at best are a joke. Show me a certified meter outside my house calibrated by our local Govt., then I will use your meters. Until then cableone can blow me and I will keep using the net the way I want , or until cableone tries to charge me overages. Bottom line is cableone wants you to pay for there overpriced tv , which you can find all those channels online for free.

CB167

@cableone.net

Re: Netflix usage

Ever since we started using netflix and hulu, we average about 220 GB a month.

100 GB is just waaay too low, and it's a joke to think that the modern family with internet TV can survive on 100GB.