Primus Telecommunications Canada Inc. page on DSLReports

Review by sas See Profile

• Telco party Primary Network
Good "Lowest cost bundle at the time, consistent dsl speed"
Bad "Occasional short outages"
Overall "good values for money"

I used to have Bell Canada for my landline phone service, and an independent ISP for my DSL internet service. Total cost was about $75.

A little more than 2 years ago, I switched to Primus for the phone line and DSL Lite bundle for $40+taxes.

The ordering was short and painless. I explained to the sales rep what my expectations were, she recommended me the packages. The offer made sense (and dollar$) to me, so I signed up.

The switch from Bell to Primus was smooth. I was at work, so I did not notice any service interruption, if any. Internet connection had some initial hiccups but went smoothly 2 days after I had the phone line activated. I had my former internet overlapped 2 weeks, so it was non-issue. Their Thomson speedtouch was not working, so I used my old DSL modem with the settings given by tech support. He even called me back after I got disconnected (yes, it was more than 1 hour tech call). I wanted to return their modem with they said it would not reduce my monthly cost, so I just kept it. The reason why I gave 4 stars only for tech support because it was the only time I got the best support. It went downhill after that :-(.

On the phone service, I got a few extra features such as caller number display, telemarketting guard, and free 60 minutes long distance in North America. If I subscribed to all that with Bell Canada, I would have paid at least $10 extra. Interestingly, Primus leased Bell's line for the phone service.

On the DSL Lite internet, I paid only half of what I used to pay for internet, but the speed I got is only 1Mb/s compared to 5Mb/s of the other ISP. Primus however, provide consistently 1Mb/s compared to the range of 1 - 5 Mb/s of the other. I mostly got an average 3Mb/s with the former ISP. For my needs at the time, I could get by so I am happy with the savings of $27 a month. Bandwidth is unlimited, though I rarely go over 80GB/month even when the kids use torrents.

Customer service usually drag their feet with their typical emails such as "we value your business", "please do not hesitate to contact us", but take long for them to address your problem or solve it. All the problems were addressed and resolved to my satisfaction but take time.

Hope this review helps others to make their choice of their next phone/internet provider.

Comments: