AT&T DSL Service page on DSLReports

Review by imakeholsinu See Profile

• Location: Saint Louis,Saint Louis City,MO
Good "Price, No Phone Line (Dry Loop). Availability. Connectivity. Ease of setup for Advanced install (NO DISC!)"
Bad "No website pay. CSR's difficult time with account. 4 day downtime for intital setup."
Overall "Excellently priced for just DSL Service."

I signed up for DSL when I moved into my apartment in September. After reading an article on consumerist.com I noticed I could switch my service to the "Dry Loop" service which did not include the phone line and all of the fun taxes that get tacked on to it. So I decided to sign up for the Pro service for 1.5mb down 384KB up. Closing my old account and opening a new one for Dry Loop was no problem at all since I called within the first month of having my service turned on. The local CSR was very helpful and even refunded me my first month's bill minus the new DSL total which I thought was really cool (Almost $50 in refunds right there!). She tells me my service will shut off on Monday and be turned back on Thursday. She gives me my account number and says I'm all set. The account number is not the phone number that I had before anymore. The account number is actually now some odd number. I try to go to the website to register the account so I can pay my bill online and am unable to. AT&T's website uses the phone number plus a 4 digit number for the billing and since my now Dry Loop account is not a real phone number I cannot access the site. I setup myself for automatic deposit through AT&T which wasn't so bad, just wish I could have set it up myself. Thursday rolls around and after about a half an hour on the phone with a CSR setting up my new DSL account I was online. I haven't had an issue since last week when the modem was randomly dropping my connection though I attribute this to possible maintenance with the offering of U-Verse in my area. I'm so glad AT&T went back to the Siemens modems and moved away from the 2wire stuff. The Siemens stores all of my account info so my Netgear router doesn't have to do anything but talk to my PC and PS3. I have to say I'm very satisfied as I haven't had to call tech support since I switched my account to the Dry Loop. My parents have been customers with AT&T for years and I've setup DSL in both of their homes and I've set it up at the two places I lived in college.

7/29 Update...

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but AT&T DSL service has taken a turn for the worst. Apparently my dryloop price skyrocketed in April to 29.00/month for 1.5MB service. Furious, I called up to see what was going on. They told me it was a promotion that only lasted six months and that's why I was being billed at 29.00/month. That is definitely not what the CSR had originally told me. I asked about another promotion and to look at upgrading my service since my neighbors have 3MB next door. I was told that they do not offer 3MB service for DSL in my area! How can that be if my neighbors have it??? Very upset the CSR pitched U-Verse to me. It sounded like a good idea so I signed up for it and wanted the 6/2 service for $30 a month after 12 month promotion and $5 off. Then the CSR told me I would have to pay the full $55 because I have DSL available in my area. So they won't let me go to 3MB DSL and I have to pay an outrageously inflated price for 1.5MB or u-verse service. What kind of insanity is going on?

8/21/2009

Bought a house with no U-verse service. Back on 768k dsl. THIS BLOWS!

10/25/2010

Called up AT&T to cancel the abysmally slow speed DSL and (GAG) was going to go to charter but they finally increased my speed from 768k to 3MB DSL! w00t! Dry loop price is $35 a month, slightly higher from what I was paying for U-verse when I had it at my old apartment ($30 for 6MB). Oh well, way better than going to charter.

member for 7.1 years, 1554 visits, last login: 2.3 years ago