AT&T DSL Service page on DSLReports

Review by Blockfire See Profile

• Location: Wichita,Sedgwick,KS
Good "Cheap service"
Bad "highest available speed at my location is 1.5 MB/s"
Overall "you definitely get what you pay for, low price for low speed."

I switched to AT&T from Cox communications because the lack of competition was leading them to higher and higher prices and I was fed up. I am definitely missing the speed that broadband had available, but not the price. I'm irritated that on the AT&T website it says U-Verse is available in my area but I can only get the 1.5 mB/s speeds because they are no longer expanding the U-Verse footprint.

The connection is mostly stable, but if there is a thunderstorm or any kind of moisture the speed definitely goes down and I have been unsuccessful in having anyone come and check this out.

3/1/13

Still on AT&T DSL, but i've been able to upgrade to 6mB/s and this works better. I'm actually paying the same price. Not happy about the slow speeds, but the price is acceptable.

4/18/14

Finally getting rid of the DSL. They have recently started enforcing a cap I had known nothing about, the cap being 100GB of data. I will give them credit, they do send an annoying amount of warning's starting at 50% usage.

The price has crept up to over $50 per month, not including the $10 for the extra 50GB from going over the cap. At this point, it is no longer worth not having the lower tier (15/5) from the incumbent ISP at the same price point.

member for 4.5 years, 1264 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

biotech

@66.249.113.x

How are you gonna connect to the internet?

I don't want to pry into personal matters but who are you gonna use on you disconnect your dsl?

Blockfire
Sarcasm is my native tongue

join:2010-02-11
Wichita, KS

Re: How are you gonna connect to the internet?

I'll be going with Cox communications but I'll be subcontracting it through another company.
Pete Post

join:2014-02-01

at&t Internet

In 1999/2000 I had Ameritech(now at&t) DSL, getting it set up was a nightmare in itself.

A lot of people are too young or never experienced the days when DSL was NEW. Before DSL became somewhat widespread the most you could get was dial-up @ 56K and sometimes with a 150 hr limit, when DSL started it was $30 for 768k then it went to 1.5M for get this ... $80 ... SUCH A DEAL, AND in MOST areas(including mine) you had to keep regular phone service even if the DSL was on a separate line, there really wasn't a data limit but if you started to run full bore 24/7 they sent you a letter. I was paying $80 for Internet plus $30 for a phone I never used.

When cable Internet came to my area I jumped, I pay half for ten times the speed and NO useless phone bill.

In the early days most had NO options, today most have many options.