AT&T DSL Service page on DSLReports

Review by djg314 See Profile

• Location: Windsor,Hartford,CT
Good "The price is right"
Bad "Slow/inconsistent speeds, CS is impossible to deal with"
Overall "After 9 years, it's time to find an alternative"

It's been nine years since I first subscribed to SBC Yahoo now AT&T dsl, so my memory of the self-install and pre-sale information is sketchy. Over this time the dsl service has been fairly reliable; there have been very few instances of substantial downtime and relatively consisted if unimpressive connection speeds. When there has been a problem, dealing with tech support has been a nightmare, but I'm told that that is not unusual. Over time, probably because both the demands of my system have increased and the quality of my connection have deteriorated, the service has failed more and more often. I've recently had line crews examine the problems outside of my home without resolving the intermittent connection/slow speed issue. (They acknowledge that there is a problem, but the underground wiring seems to be an issue.) The process for contacting a CSR and the level of support they provide is truly awful. Prepare to spend hours trying to reach a knowledgeable English speaking representative. AT&T's suggestion to solve my connection problem is now to upgrade my service through them to a faster speed. They do not however guarantee a specific speed at any level of service and so, as long as you obtain some minimum download rate at some time after obtaining your service they'll close your ticket. I'd prefer not to switch services since the alternatives are so few, but there seems to be no choice.

Comments: