AT&T DSL Service page on DSLReports

Review by tabernak See Profile

• Location: Lucedale,George,MS
Good "Reliable, fairly consistent, decent latency"
Bad "Establishing service, limited bandwidth, 150 GB caps"
Overall "Only option available, it's falling behind the times, but still provides an adequate connection"

I pay $51/month for Fast Access DSL Direct 6.0M, not counting the 6 month promotion. That is a 6Mbps/.5Mbps connection where I live in southern Mississippi.

Having recently purchased a house, Att DSL is the only option available. The previous homeowner told me he had cut the phone line while doing some yard work, so I knew from the start that needed fixed and informed Att of it at every step. Ultimately it took 3 truck rolls and a month for them to establish my service, which was frustrating. They also missed their first appointment with me altogether. On the good side, the customer service people I spoke to never questioned that the line was cut and courteously setup the appointments and it eventually meant I got a new line dropped to my house, which is always a good thing.

I've now had the service working for a little over a month. There's been a handful of disconnects, but they were all brief and there's not been any significant outage that I've been home to see. I pretty consistently test at 6.4Mbps down and .42Mbps up. So I get a little extra over what I pay for down, however I'm a little short on my up and .5Mbps is already pretty limited. I've noticed the occasional slowdown in the afternoons when I imagine traffic is peaked, but even then I still got ~3Mbps and it normally doesn't happen. Ping almost always tests in the 50s, so it's good enough for gaming. Their 150 GB cap shouldn't get in my way much and at least their overages are tolerable at $10/50GB.

The service is adequate and I'm able to do everything I was able to do back when I had 25/5 Comcast, the biggest difference is that downloads are obviously slower and the limited upstream is going to hinder using any cloud services, VPN, remote desktop, etc, however I've never used those things much. I stream via Netflix and Hulu Plus regularly with no problems and play games just as well as I used to. From what I've read, I'm probably on the cusp of supporting Netflix Super HD, but I've never even tried it as I have that 150 GB cap anyway. I hope they someday upgrade the service, but for the time being it's sufficient for my needs. I suspect sharing the connection with another heavy user such as myself would be an issue. I have no illusions that this is a great service or a good price, however it's adequate for my needs and better than the local wireless options. At least they're largely delivering the service promised.

Update: Dec 13, 2013

I just got U-verse (will review after I get some experience under my belt), so updating this with final experience. Based on the tech here for new install, learned his equipment showed I was ~4100 ft from boxes. My DSL experience only lasted a few months, but the quality hasn't changed much. Disconnects ended up being more frequent than I originally noticed, with me noticing one while I was home a few times a week. However, it always immediately reconnected within a minute and I never experienced an extended outage. Everything else in my above review still stands. For reference, I got the fastest U-verse available to me and will now be on 18/1.5 bonded pair VDSL2 for $62/month (no discounts and modem rental fee included).

Comments: