Vonage page on DSLReports

Review by jaa See Profile

• Location: New Canaan,Fairfield,CT
Good "Perfect quality, good value"
Bad "Website reliability a little shakey"
Overall "Excellent value!"

·Optimum Online
Ordered my line, got it in a few days. Plug-and-play - absolutely no problems. Took 4 weeks to get my number from at&t assigned - Vonage did everything after I sent in the paperwork, and sent an email with about 12 hours notice when the cutover was to occur.

The quality is excellent - better than my regular phone line. The value is incredible - 500 minutes anywhere in North America loaded with features (voice mail, callerid, etc) for 25% less than the cost of a stripped down POTS line from at&t!

The phone service has been 100% reliable since we got it. The website has had some issues.

We have a second phone line from at&t that we use for outgoing local calls and fax, as well as dialtone when the power is out. Vonage will forward our calls to the POTS line automatically when our internet is out. We also like POTS for 911 service - even though we setup Vonage for 911, I like having the true e911 through POTS.

One line, 500-minute plan. Total monthly bill: $19.50.

Been over 3 years now - working great!! Love the features (and the price!!).

Update: Over 4 years now, still working great!! Better quality and reliability than our POTS service from at&t.

Update May, 2009: 5 years now. Switched from the $20/mo 500 minute plan to the $300/yr unlimited plan. Now worry about minutes. No issues.

Update October, 2010: Over 6 years; service is still great. I REALLY like receiving my voicemail in my email - WITH a transcription of the message so I can read it instead of listening.

Update December, 2011: Another year of excellent service. $365 per year including all taxes and fees.

Update August, 2012: Still going strong. Thinking about dropping my POTS line now.

Update March, 2013: Finally did it - dropped my POTS line. Just cell and internet phones.

Update August, 2014. Bye-bye Vonage. Free phone from my cable company, and using cell mostly. Great service, but no longer needed.

member for 14.2 years, 6648 visits, last login: a few minutes ago