Vonage page on DSLReports

Review by pianotech See Profile

• Location: New Castle,Lawrence,PA
Good "Great sound, calls go through fast, quick and responsive customer service"
Bad "No bad. Yes, no bad!"
Overall "Great quality, price and service"

Well, I bought the PAP2 adapter at Staples just yesterday (10/18) and installed it that night. The only glitch I ran into was that Vonage was right in the middle of a login outage when I was trying to activate the service, so that stopped me for a bit until it came back up about 30 minutes later. It's for this reason that I gave a 4 instead of a 5 on reliability and installation. During that time, I called customer support to see if I could find out what was going on. I was pleasantly surprised to have less than a minute on hold before I got to the first support rep. He then bumped me up to a different department by giving me their direct line. With that call, I had NO wait at all...a rep answered the phone.

Once the server came back up I was able to finish activating. Connected the adapter to my router and waited about a minute while it synced up. Picked up the phone and had a nice, clear dial tone. Calls both incoming and outgoing have been great! They go through quickly and the sound quality is crystal clear, unlike my Verizon land line which has background noise.

So for the time being I'm very happy with the service and will update this review as I use it more.

*UPDATE 10-20-05* Three days into it now and no issues whatsoever. Call quality exceeds that of my landline. Features work beautifully. Checking voicemail with a simple *123 is beautifully simple. So so far, no complaints, and I've updated the reliability to a 5.

*UPDATE 10-21-05* For the time being, I'm going to bump the reliability from 5 to 4. This is not because of anything to do with calls or call quality, which are excellent. Rather, their site tends to have issues with logging in to your account dashboard from time to time. Doesn't affect performance of your phone, but is a detail nevertheless that isn't up to par, in my opinion. Phone performance is still exceptional and I still highly recommend the service.

*UPDATE 10-31-05* Sailing along smoothly with absolutely no troubles. Calls, both incoming and outgoing work great and are crystal clear. Website working fine, so bumping the reliability back up to 5.

*UPDATE 11-24-05* Have had the service over a month now and have absolutely 0 complaints. Excellent call quality, no outages, features working great (3-way-calling is something we use a lot), website working great. Highly recommend this service if your broadband service is stable and dependable.

*UPDATE 11-12-06* Have had the service over a year now and have absolutely 0 complaints. The service has not been down once, call clarity is excellent, and the service does exactly what it is supposed to do. I'm very pleased and highly recommend it.

*UPDATE 7-23-11* Nearly 5 years later, I can say I'm a Vonage advocate. In the past 5 years, I'm aware of maybe 5 total minutes of down time. Good value, solid dependability. Definitely recommend.

member for 11.6 years, 2173 visits, last login: 160 days ago