Vonage page on DSLReports

Review by fixrman See Profile

• Location: Hatboro,Montgomery,PA
Good "The cost, at least initially."
Bad "Customer service, lousy phone adapter, tech support weak."
Overall "Find something else."

Signed up April 2005. Many outages, necessary to reboot adapter often. Poor phone quality, echoes, choppy audio. Tech support usually outsourced, like everyone else they all want you to follow along with their script and test, test, test. They need to realize that folks don't habitually change jacks and locations like socks.

The price has been going up; I dropped Verizon because of that. It is still cheaper than a POTS line.

I got tired of rebooting the adapter 4 times a day, so they sent another RT31P2 "refurbished". It was OK for a couple of days. They don't want to send me the Motorola unit that my friend was able to get because mine is "out of warranty". I say so what, since it is needed for the service. I am very, very close to just dumping them, because I cannot trust or justify their "service". I have had to reboot the adapter at least 6 times over the last 3 days - no good.

BTW, my friend's modem is also out of warranty. Perhaps they don't want to send a new modem because I am month to month. Silly, because on Monday I am going with the cheaper Verizon Voice Wing.

VoiceWing is installed, LNP LOA is ready - bye, bye Vonage!

10/27/07 - Number transfer is complete, Vonage adapter removed. Funny, every time I pick the phone up now, there is a dial tone! I can make and receive calls! It is cheaper than Vonage. Why didn't I drop those incompetent boobs months ago?

11/15/07 - After several calls to cancel, I finally get through. I am not taking a day off work for that, and the hold times were very long. Of course, the "Account Manager" "Sheila" was very condescending, a liar and trying to say that I wouldn't have phone service if the disconnect was performed. What a joke. I haven't had the Vonage adapter connected for a month or more. How very interesting that she asked me why I cancelled the Motorola router I requested - especially since it said right on the screen that I had cancelled the third Linksys reconditioned router. Good riddance!

9/21/08 - After not having Vonage in almost a year, I don't miss it. Cell phone calls still have better quality, and now we have 1 bill and four phones (Verizon VoiceWing was a bust as well). Lower price, better mobility. What is not to like?

02/24/12 - We have VoIP at work, and it works much better than it ever did in my home - but I am not going to switch back to Vonage. FiOS and Comcast are better, with FiOS being the most reliable.

member for 11.7 years, 1735 visits, last login: a few hours ago