Vonage page on DSLReports

Review by WiMax See Profile

• Location: Port Colborne,ON
Good "Excellent value, portable and reliable"
Bad "No more customer or tech support in Canada - it's all in Phillipines or USA"
Overall "Excellent value considering it's the lowest cost phone number for life"

·Cogeco Cable
A friend talked me into switch from full-time cell to Vonage and I don't regret my decision. Initial activation took almost two weeks but that was mostly because number portability had only existed a few weeks and Telus Mobility didn't think they were required to do a number port, at least not until I filed a complaint, THEN things happened quickly! Vonage was very efficient. I started with a portable WiFi phone, it didn't work well so I sent it back and replaced with a standard adapter that I later upgraded to the D-Link VWR adapter/wireless router. That adapter died just a few months ago and they replaced it at their expense because the VWR had a known issue that they had decided not to fix.

The first year (2007) saw some serious connectivity and Quality of Service issues. They have since been resolved and I have experienced great overall service for the past 3 years, not including Cogeco (ISP) throttling VOIP when they know it's illegal to do so.

I love the portability, I take my adapter on business trips, plug it into the hotel ethernet port and bypass the hotel switchboard for all calling. It also allows me to receive calls when away. I started with the 500min/mo plan and have been very pleased, only went over my limit twice. I switched to the unlimited package about two years ago.

Vonage has opened the door for me to have cost effective telephone service that gives me a phone number for life! What would make it better is if the Canadian customer knew that they were supporting Canadian employment. Vonage moved all of their customer service and technical support to Asia. They are still efficient and the Asian customer service agents are easily understood however with the current economic conditions, I'd like to see more of my monthly expenditure directed to Canadian employees.

Comments: