Vonage page on DSLReports

Review by scokill5 See Profile

• Location: Rowlett,Dallas,TX
Good "Call quality great, no outages"
Bad "No forward thinking features"
Overall "Great service, not as big of savings as it used to be with more competitive pricing"

I've had vonage pretty much since the service started years ago. I did switch to Verizon's Voip service briefly before they discontinued and they were completely horrible, so I switched back to vonage.

I have Verizon FIOS service and have never had one issue with Vonage whatsoever. Call quality is great, website is average but I don't use it that much, have never had to call customer service, but I'm sure they would be average at best as are most telcos.

When I first subscribed if you were on a $25/month deal, you were charged $25/month, and then along the way they started adding taxes and fees like all the other telcos. So now $25 is more like $35. Can't blame them for it, but now they are more in line with everyone else. You could probably get a bundle of internet/TV/phone with the phone portion cheaper than vonage. I have FIOS but don't like FIOS TV, so I have internet and a business line for my wife bundled. I pay a little more for the business line in the Verizon bundle than our home line with Vonage by the time you add features, unlimited long distance, etc., I guess if you just want a home phone to backup you cell phones, you could go to a minute based plan and save some money though.

I do have to make international calls for work sometimes and it is nice to have dirt cheap to free rates for these calls.

My biggest complaint is that selective call screening has been a feature that has been requested by throngs of users over the years and they still won't offer. My work around is a google voice account which I use simul ring to send to both my home phone and google voice. I setup call block to intercept sales calls and use the spam control on google voice. When someone on the blocked or spam list calls me, google voice sends to disconnected recording and my home phone gets 1/2 a ring and the call goes away. Over time, this has cut my unwanted calls almost down to zero. Before I did this I was getting 5 calls per day and now maybe 2/month get through and I just mark them as spam and they never get through.

All in all Vonage is a great choice if you want to save some depending on your situation, but you have to do some research and analyze the alternatives. I wouldn't consider unless you have rock solid broadband internet.

Comments: