Vonage page on DSLReports

Review by FureverFurry See Profile

• Location: Grand Rapids,Kent,MI
Good "Tremendous value, great call quality, knowledgeable phone personnel and fanatastic features!"
Bad "Increasing hold times (but agents are knowledgeable and worth the wait); increasing "fees"."
Overall "Would recommend Vonage service in a heartbeat !"

We've been more than happy with Vonage service for close to 4 years now. The price listed here ($65) is for TWO lines and a virtual number (and the fees/taxes). VonageWorld ($25.99/mo) with no contact is fantastic.

One of the BEST features is the network availability number, so that if one's internet is down, the VOIP will ring to whatever phone (landline, cell) you enter. Also: no telemarketing, no "sharing" of information as some ISP and other VOIP providers do.

Tech support is great, but ...! Like so many other companies, Vonage is outsourcing and the heavy accents (sorry) can be really hard to understand. However, the agents ARE qualified and don't read from a script. Tech support via email gives actual, helpful responses specific to an inquiry -- non of the "canned" stuff. When we had to get a replacement adapter box, the process was easy. Best of all - no pesky monthly "rental" fees !!

Vonage has only raised their fees once; the other nickle/dime increases are from government mandated fees/taxes which is for any phone line. We tried VOIP from an ISP .. never again. Rates too high, not enough features, etc etc.

Vonage - our our opinion - is the best ever. Now if they'd only add selective call screening ...

UPDATE - 10/12/2013:
Vonage tech support rocks !!! Experienced a wee bit of an irritation in calling overseas which was hearing "dead air" rather than the ringing tone which occurred once before about 12-15 months ago. After completing the Vonage online email form along with the 3 call samples I knew they needed, I received a DETAILED email addressing my issue -- and what Vonage had done to fix the problem (adjustments on their end). Problem solved; and received a telephone call to make sure everything was working properly.

Compare that tech support to script-reading CAEs, or canned emails. I also noticed that even 'tho some of the tech support folks have heavy dialects, they are definitely enunciating more.

VonageWorld has gone up a whole $1/month to $26.99 (no contract): it's still a great deal for the calls we make. Still very, very happy with them.

UPDATE - DECEMBER 2014
Over 5 years now with Vonage and still very pleased with both their features, support AND pricing. I have VonageWorld, a second non-World line plus a virtual number and have received a small "customer loyalty" discount plan (no contract).

Connection quality is fantastic. My one and only issue is with dialing one particular residential UK number that - about every 4-5 weeks - goes off to dead air rather than ringing. After bonding with Vonage Level III support several times, it's a call routing issue which they address with the UK carrier.

My experience with both their billing and tech support is great. They actually answer emails with an appropriate response and not the "canned" garbage so many companies do. Tech and billing folks have always been knowledgeable in my experiences, but Vonage IS relying upon more outsourced support. But -- they are knowledgeable.

The "bad": prices creeping up but are acceptable to me. The new adapters (VDV-22 and -23) don't have the display like the VDV-21.

Now -- I realize folks like other VOIP providers. This is just my review of 5+ years with Vonage. I'm happy with Vonage and NOT interested in changing.

member for 2.8 years, 485 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

N9MD
Too busy to chat
join:2005-10-08
Boca Raton, FL
·Callcentric
·VOIPO
·CIKTEL Telecom

Innocence is bliss

There is a reason that Vonage's reviews and ratings put it at the bottom of the 'Good, the Bad, the Ugly' VoIP providers list: »/gbu

Those of us who subscribe to providers like Voip.ms, Anveo, CallCentric, Future-Nine, VOIPo ... and others discussed in the BBR Forums ... are paying much lower monthly/annual fees with many providers charging no taxes or add-on fees ... and offering far more features that even noobies would find useful (such as selective Call Block):
»Re: Vonage

By the way, all of the well-liked VoIP providers have their support centers in the U.S. or Canada.

Nobody is insulting Vonage customers for their loyalty to Vonage. We are aware that Vonage users simply don't appear to exhibit curiosity when better (and certainly less expensive) options are available.

Hey, think of us this way --- at least we don't denigrate Vonage users as we do those who use MagicJack, NetTalk and certain other providers with horrible products & service.
System

(topic offline) Some other options for you to consider ...

Moderator Action
This entire topic was removed, either temporarily, or permanently.

stated reason was: trollock