Skype page on DSLReports

Review by hortnut See Profile

• Location: Portland,Multnomah,OR
Good "Easy to use and setup. Easy to make calls and take calls"
Bad "Not a true VOIP? - requires computer running skype to use"
Overall "Easy and cheap way to test out VOIP"

12/9/2010
Been using it as a backup for some time and it has been reliable and economical. I am paying for Skype out and Skype In that gives me my own number to receive calls from any phone. If someone leaves a message, an e-mail is sent. Using a USB Dongle that connects to a wireless handset, that works well.

10/22/09 - Use Skype as a backup and when running out of Cell minutes. I have my own number in my Area Code that can take calls from anyone. Still using the Linksys CIT200. The voice mail system that e-mails me when I have a message works very well. Call quality seems to improve all the time and the updated software works well.
end======================================================

In early 2007 took advantage of Skypeout at 50% or $14.95USDper year [used the free version in 2006] then added Skypein with my choice of a local number for $36.00/year.

Tired of using a headset, purchased a Linksys CIT200 cordless handset that plugs into recharger and a transmitter that plugs into a USB port on the computer running Skype. Works just like a landline. All the contacts are stored on the computer.

Have to have a computer running w/ Skype installed and phone transmitter plugged into USB port. Maybe not real "Green".

There was an outage this summer but the company extended term [I prepaid year in advance].

My use is for a secondary phone and since my cell is my only other phone, I use Skype during peak minutes to save cell minutes.

Current version of the software: Version: 3.5.0.239. Release date: September 19, 2007
File name: SkypeSetup.exe File size: 23 MB adds many more features that I have yet tried or even looked at [seems some are free for so many minutes per mo and cost after that and others seem to be just fluff]. Some of the add'l:

-Share videos
Add video to your mood.

-Video snapshot
Grab pictures of you or who you're talking to.

-Call transfer
Transfer Skype calls to your contacts.
Features

* Free Skype-to-Skype calls to people anywhere in the world.
* Call phones and mobiles at pretty cheap rates per minute.
* Instant message when it's not a good time to talk.
* See who you’re talking to with free video calls.
* Forward your calls and get text messages when you’re not online.

member for 9.2 years, 3369 visits, last login: a few hours ago