3 Web page on DSLReports
No six month summary.
Closed to new reviews.

Review by koreyb See Profile

• Location: Etobicoke,ON
Good "WAS FAST UNTIL SEPTEMBER! Little effort to sign up."
Bad "MAJOR SLOW DOWNS AT NIGHT... SINCE SEPTEMBER"
Overall "I was right... IT WAS A DREAM! MAJOR SLOWDOWNS AT NIGHT! Leading to final cancelation!"

·VMedia
·Rogers Hi-Speed
I'm currently a very happy Teksavvy user, have been for many years now.. BUT due to the limits set by Bell of not allowing us to pass the magic 5mb mark, the future being very cloudy of GAS internet providers, not to mention 20+ dollars go to bell from my bill along with 10 dollars for the dry line fee... I felt 30 dollars a month going to help Bell and their dirty fighting they have been up to is not something I want to keep doing forever. I also need more uplink speed to give more room for voip and not take so long to upload items for work.

There is very few choices when you look and ISP's.. Cable, GAS DSL or EQUIPPED AT THE CO DSL.

Cable in Rogers covered areas only have 1 choice for 3rd party... That's CIA/3WEB.. I was really scared about trying them again. I mean really scared.. Under former owners, the company was a real mess.. Slow speeds, horrid 2+ hour hold times, lack of customer service and support.

Well after months of not accepting new cable subscribers, in my area, they have finally opened up the cable service again..

What a change... VERY stable, even in peak times, 10X1mb service.. I'm still stocked.. I have tested and every speed test is at what the advertised speed is, sites load FAST! Downloading is great... in fact over 1mb per second great! This happens in peak and non peak times.

My worry is this is just a dream and i will wake up tomorrow and it's going to be really bad.. But so far I'm more than thrilled.

I've had to call to get info and never waited longer than 5 mins... and everyone was very friendly and knowledgeable. What a change..

I had my own MOTOROLA 5101 cable modem that I owned already and a cable drop already installed when Rogers rewired the building, so there was no cost for equipment or install!

If Teksavvy offered cable internet on the Rogers network, they would have my business forever, but now i have to decide 5mb DSL for 29.95+9.10 for a dry line with the best customer service and support OR 10x1 cable for 37.95 with 3web/CIA and hope things stay great!.

UPDATE MAY 6 2010:

Due to Bell's move and Teksavvy's Cable offer not being close to what 3web can offer price wise... It hurt me today to cancel service with Teksavvy... But Here's hoping 3web stays the way it has been... It's been perfect! Very shocked still!

I will miss the service from Teksavvy and support.. but lets hope there is 3rd parties left after Bell is done.

Update: June 8 2010:

Well a Month later and still getting exactly as advertised speeds... There has been no down time.. Teksavvy recently has came available in my area, has lowered their rates and increased caps on their Cable offering.. It works out to about 4-5 dollars more a month for their 200 gig package at the same speed as I get with 3web. Although Teksavvy has better routing, the installation costs with Teksavvy to transfer providers make it prohibitive to switch with minimal difference in the quality of service I would experience.

I'm still happy with 3web... but if that changes, I will bite the bullet and flip in a heart beat back to Teksavvy.

I've had to call support only for minor things like "change my billing" and over all it was only 10 min hold time on the weekend to speak to a rep. Their IVR could be redone to make it much easier to go through, but that's not why I pick an ISP.

If I don't have the ISP's or service providers number memorized after the first year then they are doing a good job in my view. So far I would have to look their number up every-time.

Update Oct 4, 2010

It seems the students went back to school and all picked 3web. After GREAT service all summer long, September hit and now every evening and all weekend, I'm seeing my 10x1mb service drop to 3.86mbx1mb. Level 2 support is looking into it... but we will have to see what happens... I may just go to Teksavvy Cable..

I'm giving them until the end of this week to give me an answer.

Update Oct 27th, 2010:

I got an email a few weeks ago, sent to everyone. They claim major upgrades on the network are happening and will be done Oct 31st.... It's the 27th, and so far, there is still congestion during peek hours. It appears to be a CORE NETWORK issue and not a POI issue. They have not been really forth coming on what it is.. just saying Oct 31st. I will be calling Oct 31'st if it's not fixed... and if I don't get something FIRM on a repair date, I will be canceling and moving to Teksavvy.. I just can't deal with it anymore. It sucks because Teksavvy charges more and there is a huge install fee via Rogers to pay to move my own modem that is already hooked up over. Nothing like paying the tech to come to the house for nothing.

Nov 8, 2010

Apparently now the Cable Upgrades won't be finished until the end of the year. The POORLY written email implied it was for all services.. not just DSL.. but apparently the support department now it's the end of the year..

It seems there is something bigger going on here... In tests I tried between their 2 peer providers, during peek hours, (6p to 2a) I get major slow downs. If routed via Torix... 2mb x 1mb... If routed via Cogent 6-7mb x 1mb

I have noticed things have gotten worst as the speed upgrades have happened from 10mb to 15mb on the Rogers Network.

I have finally had it. I will be canceling at the end of this Month..

My Cancellation order will be put in by this Friday with loads of joy!

Nov 10 2010,

Cancelled! I couldn't wait until Friday! Signed up with Teksavvy... Which I know are honest and have done me little wrong in the past. They also have a well managed network.... Too bad they don't manage the whole thing.

I hate the activation fee but whatever! I need something that works correctly.

Comments: