WildBlue page on DSLReports

Review by Stephen83 See Profile

• Location: Whitney,Hill,TX
Good "It was there when nothing else was."
Bad "Slow, bandwidth limits, cost."
Overall "It's not worth it if there are any other options."
Mail,DNS,News:

I have had WildBlue for 2 1/2 years. Satellite has it's inherent limitations including weather problems and lag time. All sat internet companies will suffer this and are useless for online gaming.

My bigest complaint is the cost for limited speed and service. I currently have the top wild blue plan of 17G down/5up at 3 Mbps. Usually lucky to get 1Mbps. Ran speed test.net yesterday and actually hit about 2.5 then lost all service within 30 minutes, came back ten minutes after that and ran onther speed test that showed .1 Mbps which is fairly common during peak hours. Pretty crappy for the $90/month price tag. I also got a call recently encouraging me to switch to exede. The only plan they offer that would come close to my current bandwidth allocation cost $130/month and promises speed up to 12 Mbps but I highly doubt I would get that and after losing 7GB of bandwidth I would only have my service cut back sooner but not until they charged me for an extra Gig. It would also require signing another 2 year contract which I refuse to do.

Ping testing my current connection shows a Min latency of 1200ms up to 2000ms and an average packet loss of 7% which means I'm having to send information twice consuming even more bandwidth.

When I had no other choice WildBlue was able to provide sopme sort of internet, however the latency made it useless for gaming(I had known this) and the bandwidth constraints made it useless for netflix or even downloading Demos for the PS3. Over time the service has continued to decline and I will soon be switching to Skybeam. Their reviews are also pretty bad but at least I can get crappy internet $30/month cheaper with no bandwidth limits and no contract.

Comments:
Exede Nick

join:2012-10-18
Davenport, IA

Speed concerns

If you are seeing slower speeds than what you are used to, please email me at wildbluelistens@viasat.com. I can get you in touch with our technical specialists and ensure that you are getting the speed that you should be!
W5JGV

join:2001-02-03
Natchitoches, LA
·WildBlue

Re: Speed concerns

You should check the alignment of your dish.

A year or so ago, I was experiencing slow data rates and intermittent loss of connections. I found the dish pointing alignment was a little bit off the mark. After realigning the dish, things were back to normal.

Also check for wild creatures on the feedhorn.

During the late fall three years ago I suffered a nightly signal outage for most of the nighttime hours. This went on for about a week until the weather warmed up a bit, then the problem stopped.

The next cold night, the problem came back. This time I went outside with a flashlight and looked at the antenna. Much to my surprise I found a large green lizard laying across the feedhorn of the TRIA. Apparently he was using the RF energy to warm himself! A mini-microwave heater. Not enough to make a crispy critter, but enough to keep himself from freezing. After relocating Mr. Lizard, the problem was eliminated.