ViaTalk page on DSLReports

Review by jandy See Profile

• Location: Fort Wayne,Allen,IN
Good "Great customer service, great user forums, great call quality"
Bad "installation was hard for me, product is maturing"
Overall "Very solid service; few quirks here and there; WAY better (and cheaper) than POTS."

UPDATE 08.18.13

Just renewed for another two years. Solid service, no outages. Can't believe that my PAP2T still works like a clock. Very happy with the service. Can't beat the features you get for the price. VT is a lot quieter these days in terms of board participation. They haven't updated their blog on their website for quite a while, but everything is working great.

UPDATE 08.15.11

Still with VT. No service issues since last update. Don't see myself changing anytime soon. If it ain't broken...

UPDATE 03.15.11

I have now been a VT customer for over four years, and over that time the service has been extremely reliable. The features are very rich, and they keep on adding new features. When I have contacted tech support, the response has been fast and usually helpful. I'd recommend it to anyone with average or above tech knowledge.

UPDATE 11.12.09

Just a quick note to say that I did decide to renew last month. The quality has been very consistent, reliable, and strong for me. The only way I see myself switching is if I ultimately succumb to the allure of a triple play deal (I don't have cable TV--just an antenna) or if the service really changes for the worse. I don't see those scenarios happening in the short or longer term, so I signed up for their 18-month renewal deal. The monthly fees don't bother me, as I calculate those into my average monthly cost, and it is still one heck of a value in my book.

UPDATE 07.13.09

Over two years, and ViaTalk keeps working. I've had ZERO problems with outages over the last year--just some minor issues like the VMWI light not going off (which seems fixed now). Call quality has always been very clear. I enjoy the features--particularly Do Not Disturb, Anonymous Call Rejection, Voicemails to e-mail, etc. I was considering the cable company's triple play, but my wife and I decided against it. We don't watch much TV (so our antenna is working just fine), and VT has provided us with good, consistent service. So why rock the boat? My package is up until Dec. 2009, but we will probably renew. Maybe a nice renewal special will come along between now and then! (hint, hint, VT, if you are reading!)

UPDATE 01.02.08

It's been over a year, and I continue to have no problems with ViaTalk. Looks like a lot of folks are, judging from the forum here. But I am happy with over a year of reliable, crystal clear call quality and great features.

UPDATE 09.03.07

VT is great. I've had very few problems since my last update. VT is getting a bad rap from all of the former SR customers who are overloading the system and (perhaps understandably) are very impatient and want things to work as of yesterday. I've been nervous, but happy to report that my service continues to be great in spite of the surge in VT usage.

UPDATE 05.22.07

I just upgraded my "reliability" rating. I continue to have zero problems with this service. Excellent call quality, astounding features, and all-around fantastic value. I'm so happy with my choice.

UPDATE 03.20.07

I have had zero problems since the last update. The service has been very dependable. I've even noticed that fewer people seem to be reporting problems on the VT forum here. Voice quality has been excellent--I'm very happy with the service. I think that I will stop updating this review unless I experience any major problems or changes in service.

UPDATE 02.26.07

Service has been excellent since the last update. Unfortunately, we had a death in the family which necessitated lots of phone calls in and out. VT quality was perfect during this time of hectic and increased phone use. I'm definitely feeling better about the reliability and service.

UPDATE 02.10.07

I've had rock-solid service and call quality since my last update. I've left my setup alone, except for updating the firmware on the Actiontec router. I'm very happy with the service, and am starting to gain more confidence in the reliability.

UPDATE 01.31.07

I feel like things are beginning to "settle down" for my service. I've been tweaking things, and now I am going to leave my settings alone for as long as possible to try to get a better feel for stability over a larger chunk of time with my current setup.

Customer service has been much more responsive and helpful this week. I still think that, overall, VT is a great service. Voice quality since the last update has been excellent.

UPDATE 01.26.07

VT could be experiencing growing pains, as there have been more complaints about customer service in the last week. The problem is that it's really hard to pin down where problems in call quality come from and also hard to figure out how to fix them.

I've had some problems with the service, but nothing that I would describe as major, catastrophic, or unfixable. The service presents a good value. I love getting my voicemail messages on e-mail. But I also realize now that I am constantly concerned about the reliability of my phone service whereas as a POTS customer I never had to question it. I knew that coming into this experience, but living it is different than thinking about it.

Overall, I'm sticking with VT, but am starting to become a little concerned about the quality of the CS. I just want problems clearly communicated as quickly as possible, and transparency regarding where the problems are coming from and what is being done to fix them.

UPDATE 01.11.07

Just had the porting of my number completed. Pros/Cons regarding this process:

PROS: Faxed my paperwork on 01.03.07. Porting process complete on 01.11.07. That's pretty quick. From the reviews I've read, VT generally completes the process much more quickly than the competition.

CONS: VT really needs to improve the knowledgebase and FAQ so that a consumer knows what to expect with this process. From reading the forums, I assumed my number would be inactive for a "few hours." My dial tone on my POTS line was dead when I woke up at 7 a.m. I didn't receive the "porting is complete" e-mail until 5 p.m.
Evidently, the porting team at VT doesn't start working on porting numbers until 1 p.m. EST. Would have been nice to know this upfront.

After receiving the e-mail, my phone didn't work. My cell phone wouldn't dial the 866 support #, leaving e-mail support as my only option. I sent an "urgent" e-mail to support, and they replied with instructed on how to log into my PAP2 and reset some settings. They got back to me in an hour, which is pretty good.

Unfortunately, though, part of the instructions were incorrect. I was able to recognize the error and had the service back up and running by 7 p.m. After the number is ported, you have to go back to the control panel and reset things to the way you had them with the temporary number. Again, would have been nice to have had a "heads up" on this.

Overall, I'm still happy with ViaTalk and still feel the customer service is pretty darn good . They need to develop the knowledgebase and FAQ to better prepare customers for what happens during the porting process.

--------------------------------------------------

I will update this review, as I have only had full functionality of VT for the last couple of days. I had a few kinks in the installation process, but I am happy to say that VT customer support has been excellent. I am impressed with the company, and I think that they are going about VOIP in the right way. I get the feeling that the company is interested in long-term success as opposed to making a quick buck, which is a good feeling.

Call quality is excellent. You can read about my installation problems with incoming calls in the VT forum on this site.

»No incoming calls--do I need port forwarding?

Overall, I feel like I am going to be a long-term customer. I think, though, that a person switching to VT needs to understand that he/she will have to be patient with the process. So long as a person is willing to work with the company and understanding of "kinks" in the process, I think that VT is an excellent value. The features are fantastic. And I think that the service is just going to get better and better. Time will tell if this is just initial excitement/idealism, and I will update in the coming months after I've had time to really fully test things.

I am going to port my number within the next month after I get my next phone invoice. I will let you know how that goes.

Comments: