TekSavvy DSL page on DSLReports

Review by yvvvvv See Profile

• Location: Quebec,QC
Good "Was on DSL, now on Cable, which is way faster."
Bad "Nothing yet."
Overall "Still the best provider."

·TekSavvy Cable
Update June 2012

Switched to Teksavvy Cable 15/1, because Fibe wasn't available at my place. The install co-ordination was way better with Videotron (comparing to Bell), despite the long delay between ordering and installation. TekSavvy confirms by email a week before when will be the installation date. You get a confirmation call 2 days before installation date from Videotron and one 30 minutes before installation when the tech is on its way.

The speed is awesome comparing to my TekSavvy DSL 6 mbps, with which I only got 3.70 mbps. No single complaint yet. I get with cable 15.55 mbps/1.5 mbps with the Thomson DCM-475 (Docsis 3.0)

I'll therefore be posting on TekSavvy Cable.

Update January 2012

DSL connection still great, reliable, didn't have an issue for the last 6 months. I used to get a speed of 3.80 mbps on Speedtest, now I get 4.06 mbps. Might be explained by the new dual-band router I bought, but I think Teksavvy has been working on their equipment lately, so good for me.

Not a single issue, Netflix has been running a lot in the last months, with Xbox online gaming, lots of browsing: everything works out fine. I'll see this summer, maybe I'll get the 10/1 or 16/1 DSL package they offer.

Can't say much about their customer support, since I've only called one or two times last summer, I've always received good help, despite one 5+ minutes waiting time.

I've recommended them to friends who had trouble with cable with Acanac. They seem to be satisfied with the switch.

==================
I still live in Québec City and moved recently into a new apartment. This time, I took the phone and internet service with Teksavvy. They've informed me by email of the installation date for both of my telephone and internet services, but since I didn't expect work to be needed at my apartment, I missed the Bell tech on the telephone activation date. If at least the Bell tech could call 1-2 hours before coming to your apartment, everything would be much simpler. A few days later after the initial telephone activation date, a Bell tech came and did the necessary work at my apartment.

About 7 days later, my DSL Premium (300 GB bandwidth cap) was activated. Everything has been working accordingly (I get in average 3.60 mbps download/0.60 mbps upload speeds with Speedstream 5260 modem), except yesterday when my DSL was dropping spontaneously (»[DSL] DSL down?). But I expect everything to go back to normal.

Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with Teksavvy and I'm looking in the next months to upgrade to their 10 mbps service (Bell Fibe 10) if I don't get anymore drop outs like yesterday. Sure the waiting time for customer or tech service can be long, but I always get good service in French by their representatives.

So after a few months with them, I can still say go for it!

Comments: