TekSavvy DSL page on DSLReports

Review by EastYorkGuy See Profile

• Location: East York,ON
Good "Best 3rd party ISP with A+ BBB record"
Bad "they have to rely on bell and rogers"
Overall "Very good ISP, hampered by Rogers"

·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy TekTalk
I switched over from Rogers Cable internet to the Teksavvy cable internet and after the initial problems that were caused by Rogers and configuring various routers, I find the service to be top-notch. Technical support is great and the services they offer seem superior.

I asked for High-Speed Cable and I got it (extreme pro, $54.95 per month) but Rogers throttles.... so don`t bother with it if you are torrenting...

Order and install was piece of cake over the phone, and initial cost was $186.34 including 1 month service, modem, activation fee and etc..

Sent me a Motorola SB5101N

The regular surfing is fine, I never ran any games online, voip ran like a charm - no disconnects.

Bad experience: initial switch from Rogers: huge pain-in-the-ass (Rogers disconnected me at the pole, which caused confusion and delays.. nice, eh !) Rogers will THROTTLE your connection here... better to stick with Rogers for legal p2p and complain when it's slow - Rogers prefers people who throw money directly at them over those who do so thru a third-party provider, a la Teksavvy or Acanac.

Good: Teksavvy customer service, they offer MLPPP (DSL only - and I never tried it. The saleswoman told me that with the pre-configured router it would come to about $380, and for 2 hi-speed lines +-$100/mo. Of course, no guarantees on the legal p2p traffic here, either) Static ip for cable is a plus, at $4 a month.

Final call: I'm back with Rogers and enjoy only semi-throttle because I bitch at them every second day.

I'm going to buy the SMCD3GN for $199 and go with that. It seems to be the best router for my particular setup and reboots the fewest times.

When Teksavvy grows up and runs their own infrastructure you can bet i'll be in line. Canada needs another choice other than blue or red!

Comments: