TekSavvy DSL page on DSLReports

Review by rkaushik See Profile

• Location: Thornhill,ON
Good "tech support is very good"
Bad "customer service is bad, don't really care about your business"
Overall "ditch teksavvy now that Bell has Fibe"

Switching to Bell Fibe FTTH service after being a loyal Teksavvy customer for at least 2 years now. I have a wet loop and a dry loop which I bond via MLPPP.

I needed more upload speed. I also have minor line quality issues (jitter, packet loss, etc) and so I decided to upgrade the wet loop to DSL 16/1.

Issues with their service-

1. Even after the upgrade to 16/1, upload speed didn't improve and I am still at .6 mbps up. So they misrepresent their speeds - even reaching .8 would have made me happy but .6 sucks

2. Customer Service folks don't seem to have their act together. Be wary of appointment dates and times as I have missed appointments because of their mistakes. And they when you call them out they don't care. Customer Service in Canada sucks overall and these guys epitomize the worst customer service with an ISP. As an example, when they screwed me on my 16/1 upgrade, I called and complained and asked them to upgrade me to 25/7 and waive/absorb the $90+ install charge, they did not budge and gave me the "We don't care, take your business elsewhere attitude".

3. They resell Bell's service and so Bell makes their (and in turn the customers') life hard when it comes down to installs and upgrades

I have been a loyal customer for several reasons including the fact that teksavvy champions for a more open Internet BUT I have now reached the point where I am turning myself back over to Bell despite knowing what challenges I will face with Bell

Comments:
camelot

Joke?

You're picking Bell's "Customer Service" over TSI's??

Later gator. Wish you the best of luck. You're going to need it when you're talking to someone in India that doesn't know where Thornhill even is.

Re: Joke?

At least I will have multimegabit uploads.

Crowbar1

join:2009-06-23
Toronto , ON

Re: Joke?

HBELL Fibe is not fiber to the home . Fibe is fiber to the node and then down copper lines to a VDSL modem. FTTH is fiber directly to your house ..... Make sure you know which one you're getting $$

Taylortbb
join:2007-02-18
Kitchener, ON
said by rkaushik:

At least I will have multimegabit uploads.

Bell and TekSavvy use the exact same infrastructure, if your line can't handle faster upload speeds then switching ISPs won't change that. Unless you're truly in one of the tiny number of FTTH areas (basically houses built in the past year).
Taylor Byrnes

Re: Joke?

50/50 is FTTH. TSI resells same service as 25/7. My house was built 8 years back.
Did my research and double checked with Bell as well as with a neighbor who has FTTH. Neighbor has fibre endpoint in his basement with similar equipment as I had back in Boston with Verizon FIOS.

TSI Martin
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

said by rkaushik:

Just to be clear, this is not at all the same service. As explained, our VDSL 25/7 uses your Copper line up to the residence. 50/50 does get fiber into the home.

Regards,
Martin
TSI Martin (Escalations / Social Media) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
said by rkaushik:

You really don't know what you're talking about.

50/50 is fibre, and VERY limited in Ontario/Quebec.

25/7 is still DSL over a plain old copper pair.

Two completely different technologies. Even the 25/7 is very limited outside of the GTA.

As for the 99$ install fee, no. That's charged by Bell to TSI. TSI then passes it off to you. There is no possible way TSI could eat that cost for every one of their customers wishing to upgrade.

Also, read your TOS. Very clearly, it is "UP TO". So yes, you did not get the full 1mb up. No one does. Depends how far you are from the node.

Enjoy your price increases.

Re: Joke?

Yoko. I love your attitude and language. You have a lot bottled up inside you... calm down.
Back to my points- I was wrong about TSI's 25/7 being the same as Bell's 50/50. I found that out after further research. So your point would have well taken if said properly.
I expected TSI to absorb the fee because they screwed up. That may not be a commonly accepted Canadian customer service request, it is likely something I would have gotten south of the border. And before you go on the rant that I should go back south of the border, let me request you to hold your horses.
Seems like Bell 50/50 is indeed a rare occurence and by some freak measure I happen to be in that minority. Knowing Bell, I know I don't have it till I see it.
BTW, I am not doing this for the price as much as I am doing it for video conferencing coupled with other needs.

Taylortbb
join:2007-02-18
Kitchener, ON
said by rkaushik:

In that case I don't blame you, I'd probably switch to FTTH too.

Very unusual that you have Fibre though with that age, I'm very curious where you live. Do you know when Bell did the upgrades? I haven't heard much news about Bell's FTTH upgrade plans outside of Quebec City.
Taylor Byrnes

·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed

why?

Why does someone dissatisfied with TSI insult everyone? Leave the customer alone and let him try bell. Learn what Bell is about and how crappy the customer service is then realize he prefers TSI or someone else.

"Enjoy your price increase" - This is most peoples last concern. I think they realize the price difference when they make a big switch. He said he did his research. Let him live and learn and quit arguing and getting so up in arms because he was unhappy with TSI.

TSI cannot please everyone, they're not perfect. Maybe he will return one day and getting up in arms sure won't make him a returning customer which in turn hurts TSI's bottom line each customer that may not return.

Encourage people to try out other options and once they're dissatisfied to THEN welcome them back to TSI.

Example: Hey you're welcome to try the others, i don't recommend them for obvious reasons. Read reviews on this site, they speak volumes and we hope to see you back.

Nothings perfect

·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable

However,

When someone writes a review in which the title says "Ditch Teksavvy now that Bell has Fibe", and also thinks that Bell's 50/50 is just Teksavvy's resold 25/7, is clearly either a troll, or has no clue what they're talking about and spewing FUD; they're clearly setting a tone.

People will stand up for a business which has a 90% + satisfaction rate.

How many people are standing up for Bell in their reviews.

If he DID do his research, he would most certainly realize that Bell's 50/50 is not DSL 25/7.

Tx
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed

said by camelot:

However,

People will stand up for a business which has a 90% + satisfaction rate.

How many people are standing up for Bell in their reviews.

You can't call a negative review from an unhappy customer a troll. The same could be said then about Bells and Rogers negative reviews about ditching Bell for TSI.

You know it's not an insult to you right? It's not an insult to TSI, it's a review. That's what they are here for.

To each their own. Not everything in this world is about saving money. Sometimes you need to pay more to feel better about what you're buying.

Doesn't matter what bell compared to TSI is or what he was right or wrong about. Apples oranges. There is a reason the expression 'live and learn' exists. Just encourage an unhappy customer to return should they learn about Bells shitty customer service, pricing etc.

There is a reason they want to make it difficult for IISP's and their pricing infrastructure, it makes the regular ISP's look more attractive. Giving a strong opinion is one thing but sounding insulted and name calling because of a negative review is another.

the 90% you're confident about means the 10% negative are trolls? This site doesn't represent how many other unhappy customers there may be either. Same goes for happy customers. This site is a reference point, so you really truly do not know what TSI's satisfied to dissatisfied ratio is, it's a simple guess.

As i said, TSI can't please everyone, and TSI may not be what everyone is looking for, they are an option.

Reboot123

join:2012-07-05
Montreal, QC

Re: why?

''To each their own'', exactly everyone is entitled to their own opinion...
manolito2112