TekSavvy DSL page on DSLReports

Review by GreenLantern See Profile

• Location: Waterloo,ON
Good "nothing anymore sadly"
Bad "service,support,speed, lack of any help to customers with actual issues."
Overall "TekSavvy used to be good now they don't back up the services they sell"

Honestly posting this message pains me to write as a once firm believer ,customer and refer-er of 4 customers (now 0) but I am done with these issues if you are considering buying teksavvy dsl DO NOT its oversold and it will not be fixed anytime soon (don't believe me google it or even look here people all over Ontario are reporting nightly slowdowns) Im not talking small amounts I am talking going from 10mbit down to 0.26 every night from 8pm to 1am for months I've spent hours on the phone with them they don't care they know the issue they just have no way to fix it either since supposedly its bells issue (as always) I have been with teksavvy since 2008 my phone lines are exceptionally good and have great line stats (I can get over 10mb when it works) so please don't post here saying it could be my lines I don't have to reconnect or do anything to modems its like a switch is flipped every night between these hours.

I pay a stupid amount for my internet (2 dsl lines running mlppp) because until tonight I was under the impression I had no other choices I have now been made aware I can get cable from a different provider.

Once again I hate to write all this but its the facts I have never had anything but praise for teksavvy but they aren't the same company they used to be and I'm honestly sorry I supported them this long considering this issue has been going on for months steadily (and over a year off and on) with no end in sight.

Comments:

TSI Martin
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

slow speeds

Hello,

A few things to clear up first. There is no such thing as overselling DSL. We have plenty of capacity. Even after 4 AGAS links had issues. Are your slow speeds been confirmed as a Slow Speed Pattern Issue?

I don't see you ever posting in our »TekSavvy Direct forum.

I would like to take a look at your situation if you would allow me. Please feel to PM me. TSI Martin See Profile

Regards,
Maritn
TSI Martin (Escalations / Social Media) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow me on Twitter : @TSIMartin
GreenLantern

join:2009-05-09
Waterloo, ON

1 recommendation

Re: slow speeds

I was told by your tech support that its an issue with bells network being overused between those hours as the network itself is getting old and cannot handle the load in layman's terms until its updated which could takes years to do.

my slow speeds have been a documented issue for over a year I don't see the point in posting in a forum when I was on the phone for many calls and wasted time.

I can post speed test everyday between the same hours after dinner say 6pm until around 12am it slowly gets better pings start coming down then by 1 am its back to full speed.

Reconnecting does nothing as the lines are connected at full speed just starving for the actual bandwidth.

I guess thanks for taking the time to reply but I don't feel like anything is going to change In fact I'm sure it won't after this much time and documented cases popping up all over.
hottboiinnc
ME

join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

Re: slow speeds

I want o note that dsl is over sold. It can and does have the same issues as cable if there are more customers on a dslam than the connection to the actual internet. Dsl is not safe from overselling. Its how the internet works.
morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX

Dsl Cannot be oversold..

The actual links on teksavvys End Are not Oversold, I am guessing the poster is in Kitch/waterloo Nightly slowdowns occur there i have heard due to the Actual Feed from the remote/co Not being fast enough to handle the Load, Thats Not something Teksavvy as a Company Can do anything about unfortunately. Its Up to the Network provider(Bell) in this case to hook up a better feed / more of them between the C/o And 151 front where the traffic gets to teksavvys Servers.

On a Side note I am Located in oshawa Ontario on 25/10 I get My Full speed 24/7
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.
hottboiinnc
ME

join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

Re: Dsl Cannot be oversold..

Not true! DSL CAN and is OVER SOLD. How do you think they make their profit? They sign up more customers on the DSLAM than what the backhaul can handle. They do this betting on the fact that NOT everyone is going to be on the Internet at the same time and not maxing out their speeds.

DSL is a SHARED resource of the Internet. The same as Cable and every other service. The only thing that is dedicated and not shared is the line between you and the Telco/DSLAM once your data hits that DSLAM you are on a shared resource thus, when it is oversold to where a simple t3 will NOT support everyone, EVERYONE seeds the speeds fall down.

Stop using the old BS saying DSL is not an oversold technology and is not shared when it is fully shared. And you even admit that the network is OVERSOLD by saying that bell needs to update the actual backbone connection. Thus meaning the network is OVERSOLD.
morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX

Re: Dsl Cannot be oversold..

Just To explain the Difference in the sharing...

You ever Open a Cable ped or see one opened all u see is a Splitter.. or 2 with some Cables feeding it, But each one feeds Multiple Homes. i imagine in The Cable Node again its Just a Big arse splitter feeding all the other splitters.. never seen inside there Nodes just the peds.

But In Your average Bell Opi The big brown dressers on the roads etc. Theres Thousands of Cable pairs. every single wire Its own individual Wire. feeding back to the Central office. totally Unshared. Thus Where the Feed gets Shared becomes much different. meaning Dsl is Extremely Resistant to Saturation As its not shared at the Node Level Like cable is. and Much easier to upgrade.

All of which is a Moot point because teksavvy is Not OverSold for there usage patterns, Sure they have More customers than they do bandwidth for but as a combined total we do not use more bandwidth than they have available at anyone time.
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.
GreenLantern

join:2009-05-09
Waterloo, ON

4 edits

its not one area

Its not just that area as you can see from the review below me and if you look at the teksavvy direct forum its the same thing here is some links to prove how spread this issue is the first is kitchener based but has reply's from a person in Montreal ? its not a Kitchener issue only I am closer to stratford I have been looking into this all trust me I wouldn't have posted my review but I stuck it out for over a year putting up with this bs since I had no choice in isp until now , and even now I'm still with teksavvy as I post this id rather see this this fixed for us all and stay with them and them show they actually see us as customers as this is not about one user.

»[DSL] Slow DSL Internet Speeds in Kitchener in Evenings

»[DSL] Evening slow speeds, North Bay, ON.

»slow 6M DSL Montreal (evening only?)

»[DSL] Peak-time congestion

The last link im posting shows the same issues with lack of bandwidth at the same hours in many areas.

Thanks for the post and backing up teksavvy you think if they complained enough bell wouldn't do something ? lol they are the biggest reseller bell has if im not mistaken they just don't care and really is your post supposed to make my 100$ a month bill acceptable?

ANYONE reading this please speedtest.net your connection between 6pm eastern time and up until 1 am eastern time and post if you have the same results this is NOT an issue only in one area!