TekSavvy DSL page on DSLReports

Review by MarkBogus See Profile

• Location: Edmonton,AB
  • Telco party Telus
Good "Tech Support was great"
Bad "Installation dates changed without notice, modem not configured correctly"
Overall "A few bumps in the installation, but well worth the switch"

I switched to Teksavvy from another independent ISP who could not (or would not) upgrade my 6Mbps ADSL connection. The order process went smoothly, and I received my new modem (Zyxel VSG 1432) very quickly. However my installation date was moved back twice and I was not notified; the way I found out was to post a message asking for confirmation of the install date on the Teksavvy Direct Support forum. I was also told that I had to be home for the installation (remember that I already had DSL service). This turned out to be incorrect because Telus did the install and activation remotely.

As it turned out, Telus did something wrong because I had no DSL connection. After running through the usual checklist, Teksavvy Tech Support submitted a ticket to Telus, and the problem was resolved in less than 24 hours (at no extra cost to me of course, since the problem was on the Telus side).

I had a DSL connection, but no internet access. So I contacted Teksavvy Tech Support via telephone, and we determined that my modem was not configured properly; it was set up for ADSL service when in fact I am on VDSL2 service. So we set up a new WAN Interface file and that fixed the problem. Tech Support was knowledgeable, patient, and persistent. I have nothing but good things to say about my interactions with them.

The connection is fast and stable: I am on the 25/2 DSL plan and I get 24.6 down and 2.8 up consistently.

»speedtest.net/result/2374894276.png

Overall, I am very happy with my Teksavvy experience thus far.

Updates to follow

December 24, 2012 Update

I started a Line Monitoring session on December 17, and received my first weekly report today:

Outage report as seen by new jersey USA ny-monitor.dslreports.com
--------------------------------------
UP 2012-12-17 04:03:39 - 2012-12-24 03:33:35 (1004 samples)
** Your IP had 100% reachability during the period!

Outage report as seen by san francisco USA 64.81.79.40
--------------------------------------
UP 2012-12-17 04:04:05 - 2012-12-24 03:33:35 (1003 samples)
** Your IP had 100% reachability during the period!

In fact the only issues I have had with my connection have been when I was monkeying with my router settings and had to reboot. Speed is consistently 24.6 down and 2.8 up.

January 16, 2013

One month on and very happy with with the DSL service. The Zyxel modem is rock solid reliable and the connection is stable and always up. I have learned that I cannot let TCP max out my upload bandwidth lest my download speed suffer, but hey, that is the nature of TCP.

March 30, 2014

The ZyXel VSG1432 modem suddenly failed on March 19, 2014, after 15 months. The failure mode was no PPPoE login in either router or bridge mode, and therefore no internet. After a couple of wrong turns with Tech Support, and escalating to Telus (remote line and DSL diagnosis) we determined that the modem was the problem.
I ordered a replacement, which arrived in 5 business days, and was back up and reconnected in about 10 minutes. Total down time was 10 days, which is not bad, considering my work schedule, Telus involvement, and the purchase/shipping of a replacement modem from Chatham to Alberta. Yes, it was inconvenient and frustrating, but I felt that Tech Support was always ready to help.

member for 13.8 years, 245 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

JonF
join:2012-11-22
Chatham, ON

"A few bumps in the installation, but well worth the switch"

Hello,

I'm happy to hear that everything is now working for you. I do apologize for the delay in your activation. If you require any further assistance, you can contact us in the direct forum (as you know), as we are always happy to help!

Have a great day!
rkaushik

join:2002-03-31
Tallahassee, FL

get service directly with Bell

Would not recommend teksavvy phone or internet service in the GTA. In GTA they lease Bell lines. Any install or service order has to go to Bell. If you ever have an issue, Bell will make sure that they provide the worst service possible to teksavvy customers. In the end the customer ends up getting screwed while it may not be teksavvy's fault.
My recent example: Phone line was down. Teksavvy filed repair ticket with Bell. Bell did some remote testing and determined that everything was ok without coming to my home to check if there was a dial tone outside my home. Bell closed the ticket. I called teksavvy back and they called Bell again. Bell argued but finally agreed to sent tech out. Bell tech determined that my telephone line had been disconnected at the neighborhood network box! I was asked to be home for a 5 hour window both times that Bell tech was supposed to come out.
In total I had service outage for 5 days for no fault of Teksavvy.
Lesson learned- however bad Bell is I would much rather have service directly with Bell. Bell now offers no contract service (internet and phone) like teksavvy and prices very competitively.
So why would you go through teksavvy and not directly to Bell? I had teksavvy for a long time because I disliked Bell but in the end what matters is my service uptime and not getting the run around. Interesting when I switched to Bell I was offered multiple installation windows for 3 hours and the tech called me before he showed up.
LanAdmin

join:2010-11-07
Montreal, QC
·ELECTRONICBOX

said by rkaushik:

Would not recommend teksavvy phone or internet service in the GTA.

That can happen event if you are with Bell. My neighbor who is directly with Bell had intermittent phone service for over a week before Bell finally solved the problem.

Personally I would never go with Bell again.
rkaushik

join:2002-03-31
Tallahassee, FL

Re: get service directly with Bell

Unfortunately we are stuck with bell owning the lines. If it took bell that long then it would have taken longer via teksavvy and a lot more pain for the consumer via long and inflexible appointment windows, teuchs not calling ahead, brokering everything via teksavvy, etc.
LanAdmin

join:2013-02-24
Chatham, ON

Review

Hello MarkBogus,

Thank you for the updated review. I am happy to hear you are still enjoying the service. I regret to hear there was an issue with your modem, I am however thrilled to see we were able to send you a new modem and get you back on line.

Thank you again for the updated review. If you have any issues or questions we can always be reached through the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct.

Tsi-ashleigh