Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1940 reviews (1455 good) (145 bad)

Review by Drunkula See Profile

• Location: Denton,Denton,TX
Good "Easy install process / better value than cable"
Bad "Got to use Verizon supplied router to get guide data/VOD - lengthy contract"
Overall "If it's in your neighborhood, DO IT!"

When I first got Fios I only had the Internet service (was already using Vonage for phone and Dish for TV). Decided to try out the the bundled deal. Now that it's all setup and running everything is working well, nice and speedy, no availability problems observed (rock solid so far). I'm quite pleased with performance, value, etc....

However, I do have a few gripes that are more equipment related than service related. Now that I get the TV service I have to use the Verizon supplied Actiontec router. I was using a dedicated 3 NIC firewall router box where I had my wireless access point on a isolated subnet (no connection to my internal wired LAN). From what I've read it IS possible to setup vlans on the Actiontec. I have seen some of the screens for it's configuration. The problem is, it's not real obvious how to accomplish what I want to do (separate IP subnet for one of the LAN ports to connect my WAP). Mind you I'm no dummy but WTF?

Another gripe, the Actiontec seems to only support WEP encryption out of the box. This is really not a problem for me. I just disabled it's wireless and use my Linksys WAP instead. Again, some of what I've read would seem to indicate WPA is available. I was not able to find it though.

[EDIT]
As some have pointed out, WPA IS available and it does work fine. I even got WPA2 working on it - but I went back to the Linksys WAP to get a stronger signal.
[/EDIT]
Anyhow, despite my equipment gripes, overall I am pleased with the service. There have been a few glitches in TV reception (brief pixelations) the first day. Haven't seen them since. Other than that I am very pleased with the service.

[EDIT 2]
I'm now up to 50/25 speeds. Tests at about 58/34. Very happy with speed.
[/EDIT 2]

member for 14.5 years, 4566 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX

FIOS is great!

I have FIOS in Denton also (East side off of Audra and McKinney) and have never had any issues with it. It is way better than crappy Charter.