Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1932 reviews (1456 good) (142 bad)

Review by seaquake See Profile

• Location: Millersville,Anne Arundel,MD
Good "Excellent connection quality, 20/5Mbit speeds...hey, it's fiber. How can it be better?"
Bad "Mail servers seem to be a bit slow at times."
Overall "Best bang for the buck in this area. Look out Comcast."

Once FIOS TV was made available in my area at the end of August, I placed my order for FIOS Internet and TV. Ordering was a bit confusing because I didn't have an option for FIOS TV in my Verizon account. So, I ordered internet there and ordered FIOS TV via their "search for availability" site. I had 2 different order numbers but the work was scheduled to occur on one day.

About a week prior to the install, a person came out to do a visual inspection of the area. He talked with my wife who helped him figure out where to run the line into the house (old copper comes in at a bad location). He left his card and said if there were any questions to give him a call. I did leave him a message later that day to tell his crew to be aware of a 220v line that comes out the corner of the house where they would trench the fiber.

3 days before the install (on a Saturday), a 3 person crew came out with a ditch-witch. I showed them where the 220v came out of the house and where the cable came into the house. They marked out the lines, trenched the fiber and were gone in 45 minutes.

On install day, 2 installers showed up at around 8:20am. Both were friendly, knowledgeable and professional. I had just replaced all the RG59 cable in my house with RG6, which sped up the job quite a bit. Took them about 3 to 4 hours to get the internet and router set up in addition to cutting over my POTS phone and setting up 4 digital TV boxes.

I've now got the actiontec router with the wireless disabled and all 3 systems installed to it. Conversion over from my linksys router to this one took all of about 5 minutes, including changing the static IPAs of my 2 servers.

So far, the service has been great, the price is right and I'm happy to be Comcast free.

19 September 2007 Update: Still pleased as punch with the service. My ONLY gripe is the billing system; it's a flipping disaster. Right now, my invoices only list internet, not my TV services. However, I still get charged the correct amount on my credit card. I'm keeping an eye on it and will call them when/if something goes wonky. For now, I'll let it be.

Comments: